PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Amplification of error.

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Re: Amplification of error.

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Keep stokin' the fire,
There’s a fire ?

Awesome 😁😁
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:57 am But let me put one (my) point of view straight:
We have some brilliant instructors who did their best in teaching fly casting for 40 to 50 years and a few did teach even longer. They have created tons of satisfied students best enjoying their fishing.
Compared to that: Corona was happening "yesterday". Then there is fishing, family, job and so on. Yet we spent very little time and obviously know a shit about teaching thru a digital bottle neck. I have zero doubt, that there is a much longer way of improvements to be gone yet compared to the face to face teaching many of us have improved for many decades.
Bottle neck teaching will not enter the instructor certs for a while, I think. For proper reason!

There is no need trying to put up a battle, which way of teaching is more effective. If I would want that however, I would start to compare the price level (what you get for what you pay) first.
Regards
B
Stoatstail50 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:22 pm It isn't a battle, it's the subject of over 100 years of study in universities all over the planet. What has been established is that some ways are more effective than others...way it is. All out there if you care to look.
Hi Mark,
I was talking about creating a battle face to face vs. digital based bottle neck teaching (zoom etc.).
I didn't see a 100 years of studies here, but checked some new studies, which all outlined very clear disadvantages for the online teaching in terms of LEARNING. I shall add these studies were done in perfect environments, not us teaching someone being outside with all the noise there is often and so on.

Hi John,
I saw some anglers becoming frustrated with not catching big fish. They started to fish with live scope. All caught more big fish then. Some got addicted and some became unhappy with loosing some level of challenge. Today live scope gets more and more banned.
Sometimes we also go backwards because some old ways will be found to have been better than some or many of us may have known. Always goes both ways.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:32 pm
Hi John,

Sometimes we also go backwards because some old ways will be found to have been better than some or many of us may have known. Always goes both ways.
Regards
Bernd
Hi Bernd,

You are correct, sometimes with more scrutiny, experimentation and research, or just plain luck, a theory or even an essential, is shown to be incorrect. Some revert to what it replaced, some search for alternatives.

That's the foundation of learning.

John
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

John Waters wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:19 pm That's the foundation of learning.
👌💯😊
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

sometimes with more scrutiny, experimentation and research, or just plain luck, a theory or even an essential, is shown to be incorrect. Some revert to what it replaced, some search for alternatives.
….and some just carry on using it as if there had been no scrutiny, experimentation or research, not even any luck….nothing happened, nothing to see here… carry on…🙂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Quick question...

What is "live scope"?

Sonar?

If so, how does that fit into fly fishing?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:20 pm Quick question...

What is "live scope"?

Sonar?

If so, how does that fit into fly fishing?
It is basically about sitting in the bellyboat (for example), dropping down a heavy weighted fly or line to get the fly to the fish you watch live on the screen. Most using this equipment, only fish short range distance, because of seeing all fish best here. Such sonar equipment supports catching big fish instead of passing them most of the times. Many call it play station fishing yet. I believe, that most ffm are kept out because 5000 USD for this is a lot of money. Offer it for 100 USD and our fishing will change. We probably would start asking, if it was caught with or without technique soon.
Regards
B

Return to “Teaching”