PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

SLP

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

NM
Answers: 0

Re: SLP

Post by NM »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:58 pm None of those factors you mention impact when to release unless one fucked up acceleration of the line prior, and sometimes its good to fuck up, but not there.

Most relaxed fishing casts that are shot are the ones where I release at the same point as I do with a short heavy shootinghead. Been fishing tackle similar to the us anglers distance for more than 3 decades now. And na, thats not super short, thats bog standard shootinghead length in the fishing world.

I have not mentioned any issues with that cast, only pointed out that due to your fingers being far appart on your hauling hand, you have released far earlier, than the stated.
I just cautioned Phil that using two screen shots of different casts taken from slightly different angles and with the unknown of how far out the rod is angled, makes it hard to compare tippaths, perspective matters a ton.
Lasse,
I am not sure how much experience you have with casting the T42/T38 and Anglers Fly tournament events in different wind conditions, but I can tell you, overhang and the timing of the release is what you have to play with to get the loop to neither turn over too early nor too late, and it is much easier to play with the overhang than the release timing. The Anglers fly line is for a tournament distance casting line painfully short. Just 9 meters (yes, I know that’s the length of many commercially made fishing shooting heads). The old grey T42 lines were the same as the Anglers fly line but around 17 meters (I just measured one of mine)—the newer T38 are slightly shorter. Casting the Anglers Fly line is tricky. It tends to turn over way to early so that all casts land in heap at the same length. There’s a few tricks to get it to fly better, the main ones being to use as much overhang you can and the second is to release super early. As Chris said, compared to T42 and T38, it should feel like you are releasing too early. For T42/38 at least (but also ST27, and S55) the wind conditions play a big role. I learned that the hard way back in the late 70s (79?) during a Nordic Championship in Denmark. The tail wind was much stronger and was coming in flatter with more carry than what we were used to. As a result, all of my cast up to the very last one, turned over way to early and landed in a heap. On the last one, I lost hold of the holding line (0.45mm mono) and ended up holding way into the 0.26mm mono shooting line. That one did not turnover to early and I ended up winning that championship. The situation was similar at the 79 WC in Sweden. I did increase my holding line a lot so that I could have enough overhang, but that was still not enough when I casted the combined fly accuracy and distance event (with a much earlier version of the T38 line). The line landed in a heap at around 66m (or 64m, I do not recall precisely). In comparison Leif Stavmo won the single hand distance event under the same conditions with a similar line, or the T42 version, with a cast of 70m, the longest ever at that time.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Those adjustments are the same with the MED. If you think about head position with respect to the loop at release point, being positioned at the very top of the loop, then you can accomplish this with very little overhang and releasing pre-RSP before the rod tip has deviated away from the line trajectory, or at MCF with overhang forming the initial loop.

There is more to it than that because you can position overhang at the top of the loop too.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul,
Having released line when the close to straight main launch direction matching tip path ends, will there be slip of the line thru the guides while the tip now curves down to pass RSP1 and still increases in it's speed?

With MED you shouldn't have the issues of the head unrolling too early as typically seen casting short heads.
Cheers
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Having released line when the close to straight main launch direction matching tip path ends, will there be slip of the line thru the guides while the tip now curves down to pass RSP1 and still increases in it's speed?
Yes, I filmed this with the Snakehead shot and a zebra marked line. Line can shoot prior to RSP.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

I don't thing that's correct. Line shooting to me is, when the fly-leg is pulling the shooting line thruout the guides. If I create slip by releasing too early and then have the tip of the rod become faster as the fly-leg, is very different. I don't think it's possible, that a fly-leg can already pull on the shooting line at RSP1 position. Loop formation has just started and the line has not yet passed the tip. If you have created slip, I doubt that it is very helpful. I believe as long as the tip accelerates we don't want the line run out the tip. But seeing that (line running out between point of main launch and RSP1) in slomo would be great to watch! It's just, I doubt anyone can time that anyway. Happens too fast.
Regards
Bernd
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I remember watching this on the laptop frame by frame and the line travels up and out the rings as the rod is unloading. It’s an interesting one because in this situation it shoots more line. One of the hardest things to learn on this shot is how little line contact time is needed.

I don’t do this on a distance delivery but Lasse and Rasmus argue in its favour. I haven’t formed an opinion on this yet.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Watching this in slomo (0,25 per settings YT) it looks to me like the line starts running thru the guides post RSP1. Early release to me is a great thing, but I doubt we talk about having the line slip thru the guides pre max tip speed. I understand this to be about the line starting to run as close to RSP1 as possible vs. increasing time lack post RSP1 until shooting starts.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I might still have the original files in my laptop. The line starts to travel up the rings pre-RSP.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

I am happy to look into the original file, if you share it with me. 🙏😇
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:09 pm I might still have the original files in my laptop. The line starts to travel up the rings pre-RSP.
Hi Paul

I checked - Line shoots pre-RSP on your backcasts, but on none of the forward casts in that video.

All the best,
DIrk

Return to “Flycasting”