PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

I know it may not happen this way, but I feel......

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: I know it may not happen this way, but I feel......

Post by VGB »

I think weed might be a contributor to the flow, allegedly :)
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Phil,

Sorry... as to feel... and maybe still not what you are looking for.

After your visit, Walt and I hooked up for a day of casting... and '"feel" was one of the topics. (Of course, since it was Walt, comp distance took center stage. :D )

Whenever someone wants to explore "feel" I bring out an old Orvis graphite that dates back to the late 80s. Its a 2 piece 9' 7wt that I swear they were trying to mimic bamboo with.

After begging Walt to go easy so as not to break it, when I got my turn I ended up trying throwing the whole line with it anyway. And to my surprise, I could. It took a completely different stroke from the other rods, of course, and the outstanding "feel" of that rod was how and when it unloaded.

Slow easy stroke with lots of translation... match a slow haul... then just let the rod do the rest... and definitely do not try to narrow the loop.

Someone once said there is magic in flyrods? In this case it was more about the rod presenting a feeling back, instead of feeling what I put into the rod - if that makes any sense?

Ya just can't help but smile when they do that!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Great topic Phil.

The "zone" is a skill that can be learned. Being relaxed is an important "feel" needed to make whatever the caster wants to happen, happen in casting. We describe the fly rod as a flexible lever and that is exactly how the body should work when casting. An often used analogy in other throwing sports for the desired movement is be a fishing rod. Your fly rod exemplifies proximal to distal movement patterning.

John
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:48 pm
After begging Walt to go easy so as not to break it, when I got my turn I ended up trying throwing the whole line with it anyway. And to my surprise, I could. It took a completely different stroke from the other rods, of course, and the outstanding "feel" of that rod was how and when it unloaded.

Slow easy stroke with lots of translation... match a slow haul... then just let the rod do the rest... and definitely do not try to narrow the loop.

Someone once said there is magic in flyrods? In this case it was more about the rod presenting a feeling back, instead of feeling what I put into the rod - if that makes any sense?

Ya just can't help but smile when they do that!
Gary

I love your comments. In fact, there is a saying in golf "Does the swing create the shot or does the shot create the swing?" While the sport is driving more and more towards the former, I feel the beauty of the game is in that the shot creates the swing. It sounds like we have something in common.

Phil
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Does the swing create the shot or does the shot create the swing?
That’s also an example of external focus vs internal (or at least closer to home) focus, Phil.

I like “do anglers create flies or do fish create flies?” :laugh:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”