PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Movement Skills Overview

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Re: Movement Skills Overview

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Interesting topic
It is...only for about 5 people though :)
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Almost double last years total
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:32 pm
Interesting topic
It is...only for about 5 people though :)
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Well, maybe make that six?

I've been watching but not sayin' much because its all still kinda over my head.

I will admit that these posts have cemented the fact that I think I've retired from teaching.

Apparently I had no idea what I was doing for the last 20 years or so. Luckily, the vast majority of my classes were free to the students... and I always guaranteed that the lessons would be worth every cent! :D
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Gary, I was taught by my Grandfather and my Uncle Bill. My first rod was a cane hand me down and it was bust, it had a brass tube repair section which made it buck like…k. Bill had various crackpot theories about how to cast and had a one way butterfly wing rodloading tip attachment device that he’d made in the shed which gave extra bend on the back cast. 🙂

They had no bloody idea at all about cast mechanics or how people learn, biomechanics or instruction theory, they tied shitty flies on a home made vice and waded in their boots in winter. Between them they gave a little kid a gift for life.

I think teaching’s kinda cool and I’ve tried really hard to get better at it. Learning about it is no substitute for passion though…be a shame for that to go to waste. 🙂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Be that is it may Vince, elbow on the shelf seems quite restrictive in a different way. It’s not a particularly natural way of throwing.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I think you are trying to bite off too much in one step Paul, taking a straight arm caster directly to 170 distance caster. From your description, it sounds like his cast is deeply engrained and I think that you are going to have to take an old way/new way approach with an outcome that drops the elbow. He will have to train with that for some time before you can pile on more changes.

I don’t think 170 is a natural way of throwing either :)

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I certainly wouldn’t take him to 170! I’ve no idea what gives you that impression. I’d introduce side arm casting with a short line first. Then all planes. Then block and flip. And finally I’d move him towards the more general open stance distance pattern, with some weight shift, shoulder, elbow and wrist motion. I’d expect him to repeat those drills in practise.

Interestingly he probably would be able to adapt to the 170 and his current pattern is a drill I use for teaching the 170. But I don’t think that’s what he needs.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

What I would like to see is Trevor using his torso, shoulder, elbow and wrist for distance
I thought 170 was the goal because you mentioned distance. I’ve found with lots of students that even after you get the elbow down, it starts to drift up again during false casting. It takes a while to stick the new pattern.

Regards

Vince

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Great discussion,

What is the natural way to throw?

John

Return to “Teaching”