PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

line lubricants vs

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Re: line lubricants vs

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

The Monic lubricant is actually very good. It might well be just thin silicone oil, but the pump spray applicator is nice and might possibly be reused with bulk silicone oil.

It significantly improves Monic fly lines.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

Vicente G wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:26 pm Hi Rickard, do you have a link to your 10cst silicone oil provider? I might be interested in purchasing from alibaba too
https://x.alibaba.com/AvWCC6?ck=pdp

It can be worth to look around for different suppliers of CAS 63148-62-9. I got different quotes for shipping when I ordered.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I haven’t tried 50cSt. When you shake a bottle of 10cSt it almost looks like water.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jakefly

Post by jakefly »

I really like the "Shoot" consistency. You drop some on the line (still on the reel) and wait some seconds, that's it, off you go. You can't do that with the sticky ones.
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

It seems like silicone oil is good for cleaning also. The line can seem to be clean and then you wipe it with oil and new dirt comes off.
Taylor8

Post by Taylor8 »

Anyone try 5 cts silicone oil?
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

If y'all want to change up the chemistry a bit, maybe try 303 brand "Aerospace Protectant". It is sold in most marina stores and is billed as a sunscreen for boats / rec vehicles.

It is polyurethane based, not silicone, and as such it is not so much a lube that sits on the surface but a cleaner / conditioner that soaks in and then dries.

I have been using it for years and greatly prefer it for fishing. There is no oily residue. And it greatly extends the life of a fly line. Spray it on a rag and clean the line with it, then give it a minute or two to dry. That's it.

Although, if you are trying to win a distance casting tournament, it probably is slightly less lubricating than silicone oil. In fact, you can overuse it (as in soak the line in it) and it seems to increase the weight of the fly line - so it might cost you a trophy if they weigh the line???
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
George C

Post by George C »

A word of caution on 303.
I used to use it directly on the rod ( a T&T Horizon) years ago to reduce friction. Spray on and wipe off. But it was hard to wipe off beneath the snakes ( or I was too lazy to bother ). I think it caused this.
IMG_4174.jpeg
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Years back we used to use Armorall but whatever was in that line used to dry it out prematurely IMO.

I haven’t seen 5CST Taylor, but it must be very similar to 10CST. One of my students managed to find 10CST in the States but at about $8 for a thimble full. I’ve said if he comes to fish I’ll buy him a litre to take home as a gift!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

IMG_2083.jpeg
So people doesn’t want nondescript big white bottles from China in the mail in USA?

Return to “Tackle”