PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

#10 line recommendation

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Re: #10 line recommendation

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I had an interesting conversation with a SA rep just last weekend. I have been using a specialty SA line for over a year now, and it has some pluses and minuses. It is a saltwater line with a clear intermediate head, which is maybe a step "stealthier" as the head is also lightly dyed irregularly - aka "camo".

The head is of decent length, how long exactly I forget - probably 40 to 50'.

The minus of the line is the thin running line. It is very pretty blue, but it tangles frequently. And when it doesn't tangle it also grabs the blank or guides when you try to shoot the cast - so that sudden extra tension asks the flying head to tuck and kills distance.

I've tried a number of different manufacturer's line treatments, including SA's of course, and none have helped. In fact, some make it worse.

So... the SA rep said he understood completely! He suggested I clean the line well (with the SA pad - which I already use). And to not treat the line with anything. He said the problem is two fold: the AST treatment SA is so fond of will cause the clear head to be cloudy - so they limit the amount applied. The thin running line has a similar problem, again related to the AST treatment. AST is soaked into the line during manufacture. The thicker the line, the more AST can be added. Thinner lines cannot hold as much. So the problem is that the super thin running line cannot hold much AST.

BTW... AST is not a coating. It works out of the line from inside and out to the surface as the line bends and stretches. Thats why you should only clean the line with their pads. The pads remove the surface junk and allow the AST to move to the surface. Adding extra lubricants to the surface actually is worse than no lube at all... according to this rep.

Apparently, this particular line is a work in process - a good idea that needs some extra tinkering.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

In the chat I had with Bruce a few months ago, I specifically asked him if it was OK to apply thin (10cSt) silicone oil. He said, “he would if he was fishing where I am” and that there is silicone oil in the line’s coating, consequently it’s not going to cause any problems.

https://youtu.be/8RFP_bXtCtA?feature=shared

It sounds like the running line is too thin in your circumstance Gary. I can see that being a problem. I remember Steve R. telling us he uses different diameter shooting lines to control the turnover of the head.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Taylor8

Post by Taylor8 »

Saltwater MED!
sms

Post by sms »

The best lines I’ve come across have always been with stiffish monocore. You can stretch it so that it gets straight and then it doesn’t flap around during the shoot die to stiffness. So less tangles and better shooting. Unfortunately there are not many lines built like that. Apparantly getting a good bind between the mono and the coating is tricky. Although it seems tha barstool had it dialed down as the old monocores I have from them are pretty impossible to peel the coating.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
James9118

Post by James9118 »

sms wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:20 am Apparantly getting a good bind between the mono and the coating is tricky.
If they 'roughed up' the surface of the core first it would promote much improved bonding. However, the Rio cores are glassy-smooth - and I think this is the root of their problems.

James
sms

Post by sms »

Funny, I have not had a single failure on my Leviathans or Flatspro lines. The flatspro is in my opinion the best line for warm to warmish weather tuna fishing.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke

Return to “Saltwater”