PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hello from Colorado

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
ArchieS
Answers: 0

Hello from Colorado

Post by ArchieS »

Hello everyone. I am new to sexyloops. I am not terribly tech savvy so I am not sure if I am posting this correctly. As you probably have figured out I am a Boomer. That is a way of saying I am older. I retired 3 years ago.
I keep busy skiing, golfing and flyfishing. I have been a casing instructor for 20 plus years with FFI. I fish mainly for trout, but love Saltwater fishing. At the age of 65 I took a weeklong guide course through a local fly shop. I joined to learn more about instructing and to preserve my ability to distance cast. I look forward to learning from everyone on the site.
Mangrove Cuckoo

Re: Hello from Colorado

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Hello Archie!

Welcome!

In what part of Co are ya?

I have a good friend who moved out there who is an avid flyfisher. You don't happen to know a Florida transplant named Seth, do ya?

Gary in FL.
(Also a boomer and long time FFi instructor)
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Archie, welcome to the Board!! A nice mix of passions there. A lovely part of the world too. I guess skiing makes the winters tolerable :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
FishNoGeek

Post by FishNoGeek »

Hey Archie, welcome! I grew up on the Front Range and misspent most of my 20s fishbumming around the Rockies before accidentally winding up on the Gulf Coast of Texas. I spend most of my time in the salt now....and if you're game, I have some questions.

Based on your introduction, you're a CI with some interest in saltwater fly fishing. Have you had a chance to go through the new "Saltwater Ladder" materials recently published on the FFI site? https://www.flyfishersinternational.org ... ter-Ladder

If so, are they useful for you personally, and in your instruction? Roughly how many of your students come looking for instruction prior to a saltwater trip?

I'm asking because those materials were developed with Colorado trout anglers in mind - freshwater folks making their first forays into the salt. I'm curious whether they're getting any traction in your world. Any feedback you could share?
"What gets my cast into trouble isn't what I know how to do - it's what I think I know how to do that just ain't working."
- Mark Twain
ArchieS

Post by ArchieS »

Currently the FFI is looking to redo its education programs. Two possible goals are to work with fly shops or guide services to off some casting and fishing training prio4 to trips. Also an entire curriculum could be created for the first time Saltwater fisherman. I have some students I have trained that have been on trips successfully. I haven’t seen the link yet but will check it out. Long winter nights still ahead.
ArchieS

Post by ArchieS »

Hey Gary, I don’t know Seth. I am straight West of Denver at about 9,000 feet above sea level. Lots of snow currently. I go down to Denver to cast, sometimes. Any warmer days I will fish here, but ice in the guides is a pain in the butt. I have really enjoyed the sexyloops videos and the Board this winter.
FishNoGeek

Post by FishNoGeek »

ArchieS wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:18 pm I go down to Denver to cast, sometimes.
Where do you go? My folks still live in Arvada, and I'm going to be spending more time up there sometime soon, I'm sure. I'd love to have a few places to go and people to cast with when I'm in town.
"What gets my cast into trouble isn't what I know how to do - it's what I think I know how to do that just ain't working."
- Mark Twain
ArchieS

Post by ArchieS »

From Arvada fishing in Rocky Mountain National Park is great fun and beautiful. Going South out of Arvada the South Platte is a great river but often crowded. Bear creek near Morrison is fun, but small fish. I fish the Blue and Colorado cause they are close to where I live. The Eagle, Roaring Fork , and Frying Pan are good choices for destination trips. My daughter lives in Arvada so I am there often.
FishNoGeek

Post by FishNoGeek »

Ahhh....I was actually thinking more about casting than fishing. I've still got a number of buddies up there and plenty of places to go fishing, but I only know a couple people on the Front Range who are serious about casting. I'd love to meet some folks who get out regularly to practice.
- Mark Twain

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”