PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tracking and Loop planes

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Re: Tracking and Loop planes

Post by nicholasfmoore »

:laugh:
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
VGB

Post by VGB »

Too early in the season to get a proper rise :D
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:47 pm However yes I do believe it costs distance.
What you think is the cause for loosing distance, when the rod-leg points off to the side due to moving the rod in after the shoot is launched?

About the wind I have a different view. Add a lot of tail wind and you see very few, who can handle the wind in their back cast. That is, because their line does not travel close enough to straight and unrolling gets slown too much to then have a perfect start for the fc.
I think close to straight is always important in heavy wind, in no wind and everything inbetween.
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Because a loop that is not vertically stacked has tracking errors resulting from gravity. A tail wind will assist the loop unrolling on the forward cast. If the wind is flat calm then these deviations will remain.

Not being able to carry the head with a tailwind is a separate issue.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:49 am Because a loop that is not vertically stacked has tracking errors resulting from gravity.
Paul,
Having watched a fair number of distance experts casting the MED 5 none of them had the fly-leg and rod-leg both moving in vertical plane. There was always significant deviation. Also none had the rod moved in vertical plane, but slightly off to the side.
I don't understand this to be a tracking error, nore would I blame gravity to be the cause for any casting error.

That aside, I thought tracking was defined about tip path upto loop formation, not post it. 🤔
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

As I wrote previously the biomechanics of moving the rod, as well as the haul, need both to be considered. It’s a compromise of line speed against loop orientation.
That aside, I thought tracking was defined about tip path upto loop formation, not post it.
One thing at a time.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:05 am One thing at a time.
Rocky Balboa?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Teaching”