PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

OSD

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Re: OSD

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

HI John,

Could you supply a video of a cast where the elbow goes behind that line across the shoulders?

Wouldn't that really hurt?

I watched the videos above, and they are all non "US" casters except Steve, and I don't see that in any. To me, while their elbow may open behind the body it still looks to be in line with their shoulders.

I ask because that line is one of the things I use as a cue: I try to rotate my torso early and concentrate on keeping both my elbows in line with my shoulders following that. Doing so was a very large deviation from my long time "elbow out" style.

Thanks!

Gary
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:46 pm For me, one of a few of the basic distinctions between OSD and 170 is bracing the rod butt against the forearm. I don't do it on OSD but do on 170.

But, Lasse, above in the video, it looks like you brace on OSD also???

(I'll try that!. Bracing is a very key ingredient, for me, when fishing with rods 10 and up. The big weight shift I use in 170 is impractical on a skiff... and completely out of the question when standing in a canoe. So that part of 170 is for fun casting only.)

I also noticed that you strip the line in between casts by placing it in your rod hand and pulling it tightly. Is that just because the line needed stretching or cleaning?
Hi Gary

I'm skinny fat and weak, bracing just happens :blush:

The weight shift is not something I consider key with 170, I want to be able to utilise the technique standing on a slippery rock in the baltic , so for me it's all about that flopping and the ultimate key, timing of the haul.

And the retrieve is the vector retrieve, I lock the line at my rodhand, and use my line hand as a pulley twice the amount of line retrieved in one go, saves the onlooker watching fishing intakes on casting clips, I myself find that a bit boring :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:24 am HI John,

Could you supply a video of a cast where the elbow goes behind that line across the shoulders?

Wouldn't that really hurt?

I watched the videos above, and they are all non "US" casters except Steve, and I don't see that in any. To me, while their elbow may open behind the body it still looks to be in line with their shoulders.

I ask because that line is one of the things I use as a cue: I try to rotate my torso early and concentrate on keeping both my elbows in line with my shoulders following that. Doing so was a very large deviation from my long time "elbow out" style.

Thanks!

Gary
Hi Gary,

I have not seen a video of a caster who moves the elbow behind the shoulder line. It certainly would hurt. My reference to US casters was about how they position their elbow in front of the shoulder and by extension (no pun intended), the role elbow extension plays in their performance. Chris Korich's elbow positioning is an interesting example and compare that to other throwing sports.

Your comment about how you have changed your stroke is an essential of distance casting.

John

Return to “Flycasting”