PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

ICSF WC Flycasting Sweden 2024

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Re: ICSF WC Flycasting Sweden 2024

Post by bartdezwaan »

I already made different plans.
To bad it went like this.

Cheers, Bart
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Found on the ICSF page

The official invitation WC fly casting
https://www.icsf-castingsport.com/uploa ... tation.pdf
Cost of participation 5 500 SEK per person

--

Results from Vicenza
https://www.icsf-castingsport.com/news/ ... a-results/
92 participants, 23 fly casting sport
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Yep, thats 472 euros for participating, gone down 80 from the original proposal. Was 70 but is more due to inflation :D On top comes lodging.

Going to be interesting to see how many participate, hope they make the 6 nations needed.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
NM

Post by NM »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:18 pm Yep, thats 472 euros for participating, gone down 80 from the original proposal. Was 70 but is more due to inflation :D On top comes lodging.

Going to be interesting to see how many participate, hope they make the 6 nations needed.

Cheers
Lasse
Lasse,
That 5 500 SEK per person includes 6x breakfast, 5x lunch dinner, and banquet Saturday. I actually find it quite reasonable. You now also have quite a selection of low-cost accommodation options.

As explained before, hosting a tournament like this is a big and costly job. Up to now Norway has covered the bulk of the cost of holding these championships. We have hosted all but 2 of the 5 WCs to date. 2022 ended up costing the Norwegian Casting Association around $48,000.- net (and after a $35,000 sponsor income, and local and central government contribution), not counting the costs of the participation of the Norwegian team. That’s around $880 per international participants. I do not have the numbers for the earlier ones but have been told they are comparable. Of the two we did not host, we provided a substantial financial support to one and a substantial human support to both. That is just not sustainable. We do not have the resources to continue funding the WCs, and I doubt that there’s many other countries that can do it either. If we want the sport to survive and countries to volunteer to host the championships, we need the participating countries to start paying their share of the cost. It is already difficult to get countries to volunteer to host these tournaments. It would be great to have a WC in Denmark, but would you be able and willing to host it on the terms that you are demanding?

So Lasse, what do you suggest that we can do to lower the cost (for everybody), besides demanding that the host cover all cost and go bankrupt? We can move everything on land (and merge it with Castingsport), which is what we did with the Castingsport in 74. That would change the sport quite a bit, and we would lose Spey. There's a big difference between casting these events on water versus on grass. Is that what you want?

Best,
Nils
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Nils

Good you think its reasonable, I don't :D

Cheers
Lasse

NM

Post by NM »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:14 am Hi Nils

Cheers
Lasse
Lasse, what I do not find reasonable is to demand that others are covering the cost for you. So how do you suggest that we can lower the (net) cost for everyone including the tournament host? That is an important discussion that we need to have if the sport is going to survive. My suggestion is that we all work on getting more funding, both locally and the club and national level, and centrally at the ICSF level. What’s your suggestion?

Looking forward to seeing you at this and the coming WCs. We have a fantastic sport. Let's all work together to make it even better and affordable for all (including for the tournament hosts).

Best
Nils
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

If casters can’t afford to go or find it too expensive then I don’t think that’s them being unreasonable. The entry for me is 880 Euros, since I’d have to pay the ICSF membership fees as well. For sponsored teams who are actually paid expenses and have everything else covered then it’s not a problem.

For me it’s 5-6K USD plus effectively two weeks of not working. As much as I love the sport it’s a very difficult decision. Difficult to know what the solution is but I would think something along the lines of a separate association, making it sexier to have broadcasting appeal, and bringing in commercial sponsors for the event, not just for the teams. But maybe it just doesn’t work? Too small, too niche, too expensive to put on.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Wow, 5K USD.

Nils, in my opinion this concept is totally unattractive unless you're member of a sponsored team or rich and famous. Another blocker is in my opinion that you need to take a full week off, not that easy for working people. Maybe the complexity went out of control?

For comparison, data from the world cup,
https://www.icsf-castingsport.com/uploa ... tation.pdf
COSTS
Participation fee Ladies / Men EUR 50 for all 5 events casting sport
Junior Class EUR 25
or EUR 10 for single event
EUR 10 per event in fly casting events
Dinner, Get-together on Saturday evening EUR 35
Greetings,
Torsten
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi
As I'm slowly stepping out of competition fly casting, I still love it and I'm still interested what happens around it.
Paul mentioned 5K USD, that would be not much more for me from Australia, so I'm out especially with 4weeks annual leave from work.
Can someone explain to me what is the story with this 6 days? Where there any complaints from previous WC that there was not enough time to do it?
I thought it will be combined with plug casting and other ICSF events, but the invitation mentioned only the fly casting events we know from past.

What to do to make it cheaper, better, more affordable for more people.... Separate the single handed casters( keep Salmon Distance) from spey casters.
Less issue with finding location, no special pontoons, platforms at the location. more accurate measurements, no hard days in the belly boat for volunteers judges, and many more positive aspects, I think.

Will spey casters be disappointed, offended- maybe, I don't know, but if it's getting more and more expensive, and more difficult to organise and run such an event, because we try to please everyone, something will suffer.

Let's say it's going to cost $50.000 this year, and there will be half of the participants compared to previous years, ( because of the cost),so we looking at LOOSE-LOOSE SITUATION, not win-win.

Anyway, things with sports are getting out of control.
I'm reading, that Olimpic Surfing events of Paris 2024 will take place at Teahupo- French Polynesia- fuck me.
You will need some coin if you are a fan of surfing and some indoor sport under Eiffel tower.

And 2032 Brisbane Olympic Games, the little sailing boat events will be held just 1000km from Brisbane.

I wish all the best to the participants of WC 2024
Cheers
Mike
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

NM wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:15 am
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:14 am Hi Nils

Cheers
Lasse
Lasse, what I do not find reasonable is to demand that others are covering the cost for you. So how do you suggest that we can lower the (net) cost for everyone including the tournament host? That is an important discussion that we need to have if the sport is going to survive. My suggestion is that we all work on getting more funding, both locally and the club and national level, and centrally at the ICSF level. What’s your suggestion?

Looking forward to seeing you at this and the coming WCs. We have a fantastic sport. Let's all work together to make it even better and affordable for all (including for the tournament hosts).

Best
Nils

Hi Nils

I find it quite unreasonable that priviliged and tone deaf people demand I fix their problems for them :)

Up until now, nobody have talked about the cost was extreme for the hosts, and thinking others should fix those unsaid problems rather than be open, is quite rude.

First WC cost 10 euro's pr event you wanted to enter, present cost 480 euro's regardless of amount of events you enter. I know 200 goes to food, but you can't opt out of that can you...

I have tried before to have that "important" discussion with people, no one listens. And yeah, fantastic sport it was, now it seems for the few sponsored and rich. Not gonna be at this years WC, and doubt I will be at any in the future, it was fun and sad, up and down, and I have some fantastic friends in competition casting, sadly I won't meet them at the WC's.

I wish you all the luck and a fair competition! Now and in the future!

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Casting Sport”