PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

How often do your students practise/train?

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: How often do your students practise/train?

Post by VGB »

I agree Nils but we you don’t get far in the discussion before the messenger is attacked or quoted out of context. Bart suggested taking it offline at the very beginning and I wish we had done that.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

We do Nils, I agree, but unfortunately those are exactly the conversations which are generating the bulging eyeballs and raised fists on here and elsewhere.

I think it’s best to signpost the existence of it all and then people can ignore it if they want, read the books or Google it for themselves if they’re interested. Then they can decide for themselves what to do with it.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I have no problems discussing these things and I would like to. It needs to be a bit more focused however because as that stands it’s everything there is to know about flycasting coaching!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

But I agree. Not many people want to talk about it. About four I think. But I am one of them :pirate:

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

What I do find odd is that there are people that accept the scientific principles as applied to the rod and line but are actively hostile to the science that underpins the actions and responses of the operator.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Actually there are people who are fearful of the science too! I think it’s fear, insecurity and ego. It’s a shame but humans are complicated creatures. I imagine it’s in every walk of life, we just notice it here. I always find it interesting to discover what makes people really tick. It’s not always the things I’d choose. And I’m certainly far from perfect :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I’m alright with anglers not getting wrapped up in the science but mechanics is a major part of instructor assessments whether we like it or not. However, the caster is a major shareholder in this system and it tends to get a stiff ignoring.

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I believe over the next decade we will really move things forward. I know a decade is a long time. But there will become a point when this happens. I think that the next set of videos will make a difference. This sport needs drills and exercises. Not everyone enjoys creating them, I understand that, but I love it. I enjoy creating them, testing them and tweaking them (and discarding some!). It’s reignited my passion for teaching.

I’m also excited to post them because I’m looking forward to our discussions about them. And this will no doubt enable us to improve them too. It won’t happen overnight but I’m sure it will happen. And it will keep Nils very happy too!

It will change because it is so much better. I’m back in Malaysia and will make a start on this this week.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I hope it steps up. Even small details like noticing what the student is paying attention to gives you some clues as to whether they are picking up on the best available information.

Return to “Teaching”