PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Unproven

Commenting on the Sexyloops’ Front Page
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Unproven

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Carol wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:27 pm
Paul Arden wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:44 pm I’m going to produce some fly tying videos. ... I’ll definitely tie some flies using socks.
Cheers, Paul
I thought scenting flies was not kosher.
Pauls socks aren't scented, they are classified as a chemical weapon. Poor fish :D
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s definitely not an attractant. I’m not sure I can say the same about the Booby.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I thought scenting flies was not kosher.
Theres no limit....You're communicating with a man that used his underpants to filter coffee. !! :???:
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

No one died from that experience and it had a wonderful aroma. If you can get a second use out of them before the wash then this is great for the environment.

Flycasting Definitions
umm, Steve

Post by umm, Steve »

New competition for Kopi Luwak?
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:15 pm No one died from that experience and it had a wonderful aroma. If you can get a second use out of them before the wash then this is great for the environment.
If I’d known you were going to do that I’d have definitely bought filters from the buffalo women of grannom.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Although…thinking about it…they were v busy juicing beavers, that was unfiltered as I recall.
Casting Definitions

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I don't know about using socks to attract fish, but there is a very real phenomenon with socks in the Everglades.

When in camp, if you hang your dirty socks on a limb a short distance downwind from where you are sitting, you will greatly decrease the number of mosquitoes that bother you. The socks don't scare 'em away... its the opposite... there is something about foot funk that swamp angles really like. The socks sometimes darken with the number of mosquitoes that gather on 'em.

Of course, on single day trips you just spray your socks with repellent, but even then, if you don't respray before the ride home your ankles will get torched as you drive cuz the stuff wears off while your feet stink more with time.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s the same with NZ sandflies. Which is quite good actually because then they bother you less upstairs.

Here the problem in the jungle is not mosquitoes (somewhat surprisingly there are none, at least none in the native jungle or Battleship aboard), but bees. Bees love socks. Particularly bike socks. This in turn, is the same honey that is sold at the public jetty. It’s quite famous.

I’ve seen trout spooked by socks downstream, and eels attracted to them. It’s always a bit disconcerting to look down at your feet to see eels there sniffing your socks.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “FP Discussions”