PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Mental Practice

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Mental Practice

Post by VGB »

Hi Paul

I wasn’t trying to provoke an argument, just trying to place the disciplines in the open/closed skill range and degrees of pattern fuzziness.

How many competitions are done with a side cast or cross body? An angler has to deal with all of of the weather conditions that you mention plus variable depth of water for wading, weighted/unweighted flies of various sizes from pin head to budgie, overhead cover, spooky fish, drag, foliage, loose footing, rolling seas and highly variable tasks that are more akin to your spontaneous challenges.

Whilst there are transferable skills, student objectives should impact upon the way we teach. When was the last time you taught someone to cast with their grandads cane rod? It was about 2 weeks ago for me and I will have another one next week.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:23 pm I actually find it humorous and hopefully it will happen many times more. ;)
It’s always obvious once you know. During lockdown I read a book called Zen Mind, Beginners Mind that I quite enjoyed. My favourite extract was ““In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few.” :D

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

How many competitions are done with a side cast or cross body?
You need a side backcast 170 with a strong wind pickup. I’ve had to cast crossbody in accuracy as well as deliver backcast in distance many times.

Having said that I agree with you :D :p Obviously the constraints of a competition make the casting requirements narrower than if there were none. That said many fly fishers only know one cast and try to put the fish at the same distance by walking closer or further away. What we ultimately want is a competition for every cast!

I’ve always thought we should have a free-style competition set to music. If that’s too easy then standing on a kayak surfing downstream past the judges. That would be hilarious!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:49 am
Do we visualise the casts from first person or third person perspective? I use a mix myself but mostly third person.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

I think visualisation is no different from any other sport training. It needs to be structured around both result goals (what will you achieve and when you will achieve it) and technical goals (how will you achieve it). The work I've done on the subject is that 1st person is better for movement because it activates muscles with feel eg. feel the platform beneath, feel the stretch as you position the upper body, feel the release of that stretch as you accelerate the rod hand, feel the reverse force as you brake etc. Whereas 3rd person allows you to see yourself or another person, performing the targeted movement. That's where videos are important. They allow you to personalise the imagery, you want to see yourself performing the task, see yourself in the performance environment. Both have their uses in skill development

I'm a bit different, I mostly use 1st person because in casting, feeling movement outcomes is important.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I definitely use a mix, John. I’m not entirely convinced that I’m not processing both at the same time. I regularly play back my shots afterwards. It has always interested me that the playback is in slow motion and from the third person’s perspective.

But I’ve simply not tried it for skills acquisition
In others or for practising. I certainly use it for preparing anglers for both competitions and trips. I will suggest it more.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Paul
Paul Arden wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 am That said many fly fishers only know one cast and try to put the fish at the same distance by walking closer or further away.
That’s an individuals constraint but it means that there’s a lot of water they can’t fish. In my local area, you would often need a snorkel if you wanted to get closer because there’s very few places to bank fish and there’s plenty of deep pools. Being able to contrive casts is important for fishing here than knowing the 4 names for a jump roll.

The chalkstreams are generally more sedate but a few clubs are now managing the banks for the benefit of the bug life instead of the angler that doesn’t want to get wet feet or have anything interfere with their 10 to 2 cast. There are far more books littering the banks to begin with :D

Regards

Vince

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s amazing how inaccurate your average caster actually is. I’ve seen anglers score zero in 4 rounds of accuracy. Which means that they have missed 16x1.8m targets. It seems that many length adjustments are made my moving their feet around over repeated delivery casts.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

1.8m is more than half the width of the streams around here :D

Regards

Vince

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 am I definitely use a mix, John. I’m not entirely convinced that I’m not processing both at the same time. I regularly play back my shots afterwards. It has always interested me that the playback is in slow motion and from the third person’s perspective.

But I’ve simply not tried it for skills acquisition
In others or for practising. I certainly use it for preparing anglers for both competitions and trips. I will suggest it more.

Cheers, Paul
I use a mix too Paul, both are important for success. 3rd person shows you what to do, 1st person internalises the feel of doing it. If you add a script to the mix, you increase the success rate.

John

Return to “Teaching”