PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Structuring multiple lessons

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Structuring multiple lessons

Post by Paul Arden »

When throwing a paper aeroplane I use the kinetic chain. It’s not a case of simply maximum distance, it’s an easier way to cast. Most casters try to power the rod with the forearm, they then try to stop the rod with the forearm. Moving the forearm and braking or blocking the forearm to transfer energy through the wrist to the hand and rod is a far easier way of casting. It involves less effort and can be very precise and fast if required.

I think that’s how our bodies evolved. We are basically throwing machines. Unfortunately lots of casting literature recommends other movement patterns which are harder work, or as you point out can cause injury. The throw is timed differently because we are casting a bendy rod to shape a loop, but it’s still a throw.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Funnily enough Paul I think you can begin to encourage use of the kinetic chain right from the start. This may not be an explicit learning objective for the caster but it surely must be for the instructor. The techniques we use for thawing wrists or shoulders or elbows, weight shifting, changing foot position, varying posture and challenging stability all, in some way, promote flow through the kinetic chain. It’s not obvious early on I’ll give you that but, if you’re adding variation to the lesson drills it is being encouraged.

The problem with this is that although all these practices are great for learning they’re disruptive to performance. So, instructors, or casters, who have specific performance outcomes as objectives, tend not to use them…they don’t make an instructor look good and they don’t make a caster feel like they’re progressing quickly.

I understand that the overwhelming interest on here is competition casting but at some point there needs to be an acknowledgement that the objectives of a competition caster and a bog standard angler are not the same. There is a focus on promoting narrow minimal error performance in competition casting which is almost diametrically opposite to what I may try to deliver for a novice, recreational angler which is focussed on learning, adaptability and error tolerant.

If instructors teaching recreational casters employ the techniques they themselves used to narrow performance for assessment purposes, or narrow performance for competition purposes, where there may well be a “right” way to do it, then there is going to be a clash of objectives. If the techniques for promoting performance are applied early in the learning process then we tend to produce this stopped clock, low adaptability, casting stroke. The very thing we’re then tasked with changing. It is instructional poison in my view.🙂 This doesn’t mean that techniques for promoting performance are somehow invalid or not useful simply that we should be aware that they have different effects when used at different stages in the learning continuum.

Aside from not teaching that there’s a “right” way, I think one of the ways to address this is to do what you have done…only take blocked bookings. This has the effect of reducing a casters lesson by lesson performance expectations and gives them time to get used to the idea that they’re not just an empty pot for the instructor to fill up with info but that they’re going to be engaged in working it out for themselves. If they know they’re coming back, they’re much more likely to practice, which is massive. This personal challenge comes as a big shock to a lot of casters who think instructors have a bag of magic faery dust which will turn them in to a super caster in an hour…or instructors who claim they can do exactly that.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Paul

Is “the” kinetic chain identical if you are standing up throwing a paper plane, when compared to being sat on a high backed chair?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

VGB wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:19 am Hi Paul

Is “the” kinetic chain identical if you are standing up throwing a paper plane, when compared to being sat on a high backed chair?

Regards

Vince
The chain only varies in the joints (links) engaged Vince. The same proximal to distal principle applies to all throwing - matches, paper planes, darts, balls, sticks and fly lines.

John
VGB

Post by VGB »

I agree with the idea of it being a principle John but there is a range of potential solutions, not a single answer. My kinetic chain cross body is not identical to overhead closed stance for instance.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

VGB wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:16 am I agree with the idea of it being a principle John but there is a range of potential solutions, not a single answer. My kinetic chain cross body is not identical to overhead closed stance for instance.

Regards

Vince
Hi Vince,

The level of compliance to proximal to distal patterning determines success of any cast. The movement range and sequencing may change, but not the principle.

John
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi John

Success for me involves fish :D Bearing in mind the principle, what are your thoughts on the instructional adage “short line, short stroke”?

Regards

Vince

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Vince,

If your catch rate is a function of your casting proficiency, then the principle holds for catch rate too. What is the objective of the adage?

John
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi John

If catch rate was a function of casting proficiency, Euronymphers would blank ;) The adage has been around a long time:

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/ ... r%20stroke.
Here’s a key principle all fly casters need to know. The length of the casting stroke—that is, the distance the hand and arm travel—varies with the length of the line. A short line requires a short stroke. A longer line needs a longer stroke.
https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/5-fly ... ps/7714646
The length of the casting stroke varies with the length of the line. The rule is this: “Short line, short stroke. Longer line, longer stroke”.

https://deneki.com/2015/10/casting-shor ... sh-3-tips/
One of the governing principles of fly casting states that the casting stroke must be proportional to the amount of line out the rod tip. In other words, long casts require a long stroke and short casts require a short stroke. So, for really short casts, a really short stroke is needed. A short but quick (more powerful) stroke is the key to turning over long leaders and heavy flies at shorter distances.
Regards

Vince

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Mark,

I agree we can nudge beginners in this direction. I really don’t on the first lesson. For me this sort of teaching comes in later. We see it in hauling too of course, or lack of it, with a general swing of the arm. I have some good drills to explore this.

I agree and I know I’m very fortunate with the multiple lessons. It’s takes pressure off, particularly the students because they know they are going to have 8-12 months of me or more :D And we go on that journey together. Sharing the highs and lows. It really is fantastic. Apart from me having to get up at 6.15 some mornings.
Short distance it is. For very long casts it’s not because you don’t have the bigger links at the bottom of the chain to utilise when sitting down. That’s one reason why distance casters don’t take a chair to the platform.

I know many of us can throw 100’ while laying on our backs and I’ve certainly been involved in this competition before. But there are definitely fewer links in the chain this way and I can cast further on a chair than laying on my back, further again standing closed stance without weight shift, and furthest with weight shift in open stance.

However I don’t utilise the bottom half of the chain when casting short casts, even when it’s an available option.

I’m a reasonable fast runner but I still walk sometimes too.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”