PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Bum bags

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Bum bags

Post by Paul Arden »

Having tried absolutely everything under the sun I think I'm coming back to bumbags. I hate wearing a waistcoat and while chest packs are more practical I like to see my feet when boulder hopping. The fishpond wild sheep was useful but ended up weighing three tons and I can't double haul or strip retrieve properly. So bum bags it is.

But finding a good bumbag is virtually impossible. I don't need 50 pockets - I need one. Waterproof would be nice but waterproof ones look like crap. It has to fit well, by comfortable, have no stupid place for waterbottles, have strong zips and be hard wearing.

Is there such a thing? I don't know it in FFing. But maybe mountaineering? Or cabelas hunting?

My other option is to go back to camelbak and buy the camo one. But it's not my current fetish. .

Compression straps would be good but I can fit them no problems. Oh and I need quick access to my flybox. I don't want to spend ten minutes undoing the thing!

Any suggestions or do I need to invest in a sewing machine? :p

Many thanks!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Nile Special
Answers: 0

Bum bags

Post by Nile Special »

What about a sling pack? I've just bought the Patagonia Stormfront one. Can carry a bit more than a fanny pack and you can access it without taking it off. Keeps everything out of the way while you're fishing except a few choice items on the front lash points. The main pocket is properly waterproof as well, it's airtight when the zips closed properly.

Only downer with it is if you overload it it puts disproportionate strain on the one shoulder.

My experience of bumbags has been a poor one, usually forget I'm wearing it and wade too deep then curse as I have to dry everything out. Plus I always want to put more in it than I should and it ends up slipping down all day..

If you're properly set on a bumbag then I have nothing except don't get the Simms one (shoebox), Snowbee (fell apart) or small Fishpond one (too small)...
Stu Jamieson

Bum bags

Post by Stu Jamieson »

I'm a sling pack fan also for all the same reasons as Nile. I have the small Simms Headwaters pack.
http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/vests- ... ack-1.html
I'm considering upgrading to the larger pack to get the rod tube carrying facility.
David Anderson

Bum bags

Post by David Anderson »

Paul Arden wrote:
Any suggestions or do I need to invest in a sewing machine? :p
Hmmmm, bread making, sewing and weight lifting ?
Anything you want to tell us Paul ?? :p

Seriously - I like the roll top Simms Waterproof Fanny pack.
(sold out here)
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/simms-dry-creek-lumbar-dry-bag-roll-top~p~1632p/?showlocalization=True

The roll top would seem a pain in the ass, but trust me, anything is better than waterproof zippers..
http://www.twigwater.com My fly fishing blog.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Bum bags

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't like the one shoulder thing, although I do turn bumbags into slings when crossing deep water. When deep wading I fit the strap through the wader straps to turn it into a "shoulder pack" but changing flies is a pain. Maybe I should just buy a really big hat and stick everything under there :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
squish

Bum bags

Post by squish »

Simms have just announced that their 2015 rage of dry creek bags will be waterproof, not water resistant like the current ones.

http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/simms- ... 15/7711533
Chris Dore

Bum bags

Post by Chris Dore »

I use the current simms dry creek hip pack. The main compartment keeps water out well enough and has been submersed a couple of times without probs. The roll top hip pack is fully waterproof and will be my go-to this coming season.

The headwaters sling packs are pretty cool
Viking Lars

Bum bags

Post by Viking Lars »

I've gone off hip packs again, although I do sometimes use one as a shoulderbag. I tried a sling pack once (the waterproof Patagonia, which is really an awesome pack). But when I had the stuff I wanted in there, it simply became uncomfortable and seemeed to press against my arterie on my neck and I almost felt dizzy walking with it.

I have an old J.W. Outfitters hip pack (man, they made awesome products!) which sits really well, but does sport two bottleholders. I also have the Simms Dry Creek Hip Pack, which is very nice. One main compartment and with a few, small mesh pockets, an outer pocket (slim, holds flat stuff like licenses and leaders etc.) and I think it also has small pockets on the belt. All in all a very nice pack - I haven't dunked it, but it's always kept out even the most torrential rain showers.

The roll top from Simms was also nice, but I found/find the roll top a bit cumbersome.

Lars
adamsaflyfishing

Bum bags

Post by adamsaflyfishing »

Also used the Simms - too big and not waterproof... Fishpond backpack is nice but its around the back so a bit awkward - seems like there is a gap in the market fo a Sexyloops pack....
FFF CCI

'Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley'.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Bum bags

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm sure there is, but even I can decide what I like. I tried to design a bum bag that would turn into a chest pack, but this didn't get past the drawing board!

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”