PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Aperture vs Photoshop

Moderator: JanMan

squish
Answers: 0

Aperture vs Photoshop

Post by squish »

I've just bitten the bullet and ordered a new 15" Macbook pro. I've blown the budget, so I don't want to lock into an ongoing subscription of Photoshop at this point - is anyone using Aperture who can share their thoughts on the program?

I'm used to Photoshop CS4 on a PC, so any comparisons or experiences would be great.

Cheers
Darren
squish

Aperture vs Photoshop

Post by squish »

Correction: I've been using Photoshop CS5 on a PC, not CS4.......
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Aperture vs Photoshop

Post by Paul Arden »

I use Seashore. It doesn't add text very well and more recently I've had many crashes, but that may be the machine. It does everything I need. I've used something else too, but it was too complicated and I couldn't be arsed to learn it :p Everything I need for the Mac is open source.

Congratulations by the way. It's how computers should be. Not perfect by any means, but it's the best. Everything is more intuitive, but it annoys me that it doesn't adapt to (or learn) routine. But by comparison everything else I've used has been a waste of money.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
squish

Aperture vs Photoshop

Post by squish »

I'll look up Seashore Paul, I've not heard of that one.

I just downloaded a trial of Pixelmator, it looks pretty good, particularly for $30.

I've had a macbook air for 4 years and prefer the mac over pc too. I didn't want to purchase another copy of photoshop just for the mac back then, as I already had it on the desktop. Time for a complete upgrade now though.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Aperture vs Photoshop

Post by Paul Arden »

I'll find the name of the other one. The open source is really a tremendous vision.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Aperture vs Photoshop

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote:I'll find the name of the other one. The open source is really a tremendous vision.
Was it Gimp?

I'm using it, but I'm looking for something else because Gimp is a bit clunky. It certainly does a lot though.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Viking Lars

Aperture vs Photoshop

Post by Viking Lars »

Aperture is awesome, really awesome, but Apple have stopped developing on it, apparently, so maybe that's not the wisest choice.

I've used Gimp, which I found horrible and now use Photoshop Elements for almost everything. It's cheap and produces fine results.

Lars
squish

Aperture vs Photoshop

Post by squish »

Viking Lars wrote:Aperture is awesome, really awesome, but Apple have stopped developing on it, apparently, so maybe that's not the wisest choice.

I've used Gimp, which I found horrible and now use Photoshop Elements for almost everything. It's cheap and produces fine results.

Lars
Ok, elements is now on the table too.

Have you tried Lightroom Lars? I'm playing around with a demo version at the moment.......
petevicar

Aperture vs Photoshop

Post by petevicar »

I use Aperture and Photoshop CS6. However nearly all my serious photographer friends use Lightroom.
If you are shooting in RAW it is probably the best option.

It is very easy to use and produces great results very quickly.

If I ever take photography seriously then I will also use Lightroom.
IANACI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Aperture vs Photoshop

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep was Gimp!

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Photography”