PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Translation - Rotation

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Translation - Rotation

Post by Paul Arden »

It doesn't work for me but we'll play with it this weekend.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters
Answers: 0

Translation - Rotation

Post by John Waters »

G'Day Malik,

Great vid, very interesting to see the two casters in action. A lot of learnings from each. Apologies to each caster as I do not know their names. You're are right Malik, given the camera angle it is a tad difficult but I would say they rotate at about 5 on your diagram. Could be very wrong given the view angle. I would suggest that the caster in the foreground starts a tad earlier than the caster in the background. Is the caster in the foreground using a stiffer rod that the caster in the background and if so it would be interesting to see the respective loop profiles on each caster's delivery. I am aware that one caster used a 15 weight rod but I would suspect the tip would have been soft. I would also be interested to know what rod he used in the 27 gram event compared with the rest of the field.

John
Lasse Karlsson

Translation - Rotation

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi John

Caster near camera is Tor Gjersøe the guy with the "15" weight rod and the caster in the background is Bernt Johansson. If he hasn't changed, he'll be using a "6" weight MSX Black Diamond.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Translation - Rotation

Post by John Waters »

Hi Lasse, thanks for getting back with that info, much appreciated. Tor has an interesting and unconventional action but his haul hand is super, long in the horizontal, short in the vertical. I can't exactly pick up his release point but it does not look to be past the vertical and may even be just in front of his hip. Had a chat to Harald Jensen in Poland last month and can't wait to have a cast with you blokes.

John
Malik

Translation - Rotation

Post by Malik »

Hi John,

Thank you for your kind answer and very interesting observations. It seems to me that Tor uses more a roto-translation than a translation + a late rotation (what do you think ?) and I would place the start of his rotation closer to 4 than to 5 on the arrow. But you are probably right, and the camera angle is a problem.

Best Regards

M.

PS :
John Waters wrote: Great vid, very interesting to see the two casters in action.
John
About the vid, the credit is due to Bernd Ziesche, not to me (I just downloaded the vid from his vimeo channel https://vimeo.com/user4268245 on my ubersense application to have a slomo).
John Waters

Translation - Rotation

Post by John Waters »

Hi Malik,

Neither caster employs a lot of translation without any concurrent rotation, although Bernt employs more than Tor. Camera angle may make that statement subjective, however the way Bernt employs his step forward on the delivery creates more pure rod translation than Tor generates with his step forward. Some of that results from the use of the right foot as Bernt's lead foot. However, I am convinced that Tor's left foot forward stance is more efficient from a power and biomechanics viewpoint than the right foot front stance for a right hand caster. I like your term "roto-translation" :-). It is just a question of when rotation takes precedence over rotation, rather than translation without any rotation, followed by rotation. I selected 5 as the point where rotation became predominant but agree it could be earlier.
I can understand that with a six weight rod but am very interested in the fact that Tor employs the same technique with the stiffer rod. To understand that I will experiment with a larger range of rods using a 5 weight line.

Thanks to you and Bernd,

John
Malik

Translation - Rotation

Post by Malik »

Hi John

Once again, thank you for your interesting observation. The bodywork and the footwork of Tor are impressive, even if aesthetically speaking the result is... whatever, Tor is not Joan Wulff :D . His haul on the deliver cast is impressive too.
John Waters wrote:Hi Malik,
To understand that I will experiment with a larger range of rods using a 5 weight line.
John
I'll be very curious to know the result of your experience !

Best regards

M.
Lasse Karlsson

Translation - Rotation

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

John Waters wrote:Hi Lasse, thanks for getting back with that info, much appreciated. Tor has an interesting and unconventional action but his haul hand is super, long in the horizontal, short in the vertical. I can't exactly pick up his release point but it does not look to be past the vertical and may even be just in front of his hip. Had a chat to Harald Jensen in Poland last month and can't wait to have a cast with you blokes.

John

Hi John

No problem :)

You might be interested in watching the Norwegian championships:

http://fluefiske.net/norgesmestrene-fluekasting/

At the bottom of the page there is two video's, the first one has accuracy and trout distance, and some quite good footage of the participants. It's very long though, and the commentary is in Norwegian :pirate:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Translation - Rotation

Post by John Waters »

I will certainly do that Mailk and suspect a number of people around the world will be doing the same after Tor's gold medal performance with a 15 weight rod and a 5 weight line. I congratulate him on both his World Championship win and his willingness to experiment with gear and seek what works best for him.

Thanks Lasse really enjoyed watching both videos and appreciate you posting the links. Love watching both accuracy and distance casting events from anywhere in the world. Great presentation and I thought the Presenters were excellent. Thorgeir has done that at ICSF events and I think it adds so much to the theatre on the day and it works extremely well on videos of the events as shown in those two videos.

Well it's back to the training field for me to play with some gear and improve my technique.

Thanks again both,

John
Malik

Translation - Rotation

Post by Malik »

John Waters wrote:I […] suspect a number of people around the world will be doing the same after Tor's gold medal performance with a 15 weight rod and a 5 weight line.[…]
:D
Have a good day John. I'm learning Norwegian now, maybe it can add some meters to my cast. :laugh:
M.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”