PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Carrying a gun while fishing...

Moderator: Haggisboy

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I didn't read the article but I can confirm I have a cleanliness-challenged car. This is because I live in it. :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally in Malaysia I was given a taser gun for protection. Obviously I left it in Irhamy's office since I would no doubt blow myself up.

Flycasting Definitions
John Finn
Answers: 0

Post by John Finn »

Has anybody else been attacked by an otter.? Have been wading around them all Summer without a bother, though they do seem to loose their fear after dark. Heard of an encounter between a springer spaniel and a dog otter a bit away from the river. Spaniel badly mauled and needed a vet. Do I need bear spray :? :D
Harps

Post by Harps »

t.z. wrote:I do not quite understand the motivations of the author of the bespoke article. He came across an open minded person with a bit of messy habits and proposes that his homophobia is reason enough to shoot down the owner of the messy truck?

He stated:
“You ever suck a dick? ‘Cause you look to me like the kind of guy who’d suck a dick!”
Why is the open and honest question about sexual preferences such a threatening affair that one considers lethal action against the person asking? Can this be paranoia?
I'd assume that the guy in the truck was referring to all fly-fishermen. There seems to be a common thought in more "conservative" areas in North America that if you flyfish you are a pansy compared to the tough bait fishing, banjo loving, wrestling watching local rednecks. Owning a fly rod, questioning a conservative government, or being slightly liberal is grounds to get your ass kicked in much of the USA and some of the backwoods places in Canada (Alberta, Manitoba, northern BC, etc).
petevicar

Post by petevicar »

Harps wrote:[ Owning a fly rod, questioning a conservative government, or being slightly liberal is grounds to get your ass kicked in much of the USA and some of the backwoods places in Canada (Alberta, Manitoba, northern BC, etc).

What a strange country you live in. There are other expressions I could use but I fear retaliatory violence.
IANACI
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Harps wrote:
t.z. wrote:I do not quite understand the motivations of the author of the bespoke article. He came across an open minded person with a bit of messy habits and proposes that his homophobia is reason enough to shoot down the owner of the messy truck?

He stated:
“You ever suck a dick? ‘Cause you look to me like the kind of guy who’d suck a dick!”
Why is the open and honest question about sexual preferences such a threatening affair that one considers lethal action against the person asking? Can this be paranoia?
I'd assume that the guy in the truck was referring to all fly-fishermen. There seems to be a common thought in more "conservative" areas in North America that if you flyfish you are a pansy compared to the tough bait fishing, banjo loving, wrestling watching local rednecks. Owning a fly rod, questioning a conservative government, or being slightly liberal is grounds to get your ass kicked in much of the USA and some of the backwoods places in Canada (Alberta, Manitoba, northern BC, etc).
My post was meant to be ironic. I am sorry of that has not come accross, but I understood that Frank Zappa was maybe the last in that part of the world understanding irony.

I have been in the united states a lot and have not found what you are trying to communicate here. It might have been your experience or what you believe, but my experience of the people in the US and Northern America is different. They seem to make strange choices when electing governments, but so do pretty much all democratic societies. Sometimes bad, sometimes not so bad.

Stuff gets pushed in the media to obscene levels. Germany - to take an example I know even better. In the internatiolnal media is a lot of talk about a small group og new-nazis. Of course, something to be very concerned about on a political & society level - but certainly not a reason to be afraid visiting the country or let alone carry a gun around.

Guns never saved a live or solved a situation.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It's difficult to have a revolution without a gun.

Flycasting Definitions
alex vulev

Post by alex vulev »

you can't have a revolution with a fly rod either. i dont think that the french revolution or the russian one are good examples. There is a street in Berlin called Karl Marx but the street is going to the cemetry. I was driving there and was amused at the German humor and start laughing when i read the street name. :D
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Paul Arden wrote:It's difficult to have a revolution without a gun.
Revolutions with guns mostly end up with one guy telling the rest what to do ... ;-)

Anyway - this is a nice animation about how different nations & continents perceive each other.

http://www.quarantados.com/#euronightmare
Harps

Post by Harps »

t.z. wrote: My post was meant to be ironic. I am sorry of that has not come accross, but I understood that Frank Zappa was maybe the last in that part of the world understanding irony.

I have been in the united states a lot and have not found what you are trying to communicate here. It might have been your experience or what you believe, but my experience of the people in the US and Northern America is different. They seem to make strange choices when electing governments, but so do pretty much all democratic societies. Sometimes bad, sometimes not so bad.

Stuff gets pushed in the media to obscene levels. Germany - to take an example I know even better. In the internatiolnal media is a lot of talk about a small group og new-nazis. Of course, something to be very concerned about on a political & society level - but certainly not a reason to be afraid visiting the country or let alone carry a gun around.

Guns never saved a live or solved a situation.
Sorry, I did get the irony... I'm just bad at responding to it and ended up going on a rant against a shady subset of yokel. Much of my list was a tongue in cheek comment of what people perceive of others here.

I don't believe it is necessary to carry a gun anywhere I fish, but I have encountered people who were hostile- mainly because of a perceived notion that fly fishermen were all rich, snobby, city dwellers that wanted rights to fish on the landowner's river.

Private property issues are also a Big deal here and have lead to conflicts, some physical. In Utah, anglers are now banned from walking public rivers through private land- a sad change in legislation and culture. Alberta will never go that way, but as more folks move out of cities looking for their "private piece of paradise", there will be more areas of rivers that are less comfortable to fish. I was just informed of a complaint on the Crowsnest Rver where a boy and his son were run of a trail by a neighbouring landowner with a grudge against anglers on the public land close to his place. The police are involved and have been called to previous complaints and firearms issues (I think handguns in this situation would have resulted in a stand-off with at least one party dead).

I have never personally felt threatened (that's not true, because I've been shot at twice- but not conflict related) and in a situation that couldn't be resolved through a nice conversation.

I am against carrying a sidearm for personal protection, while fishing. It is not my idea of a relaxing or enjoyable time- despite the chance of catching fish.

Return to “Manshit”