PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Carrying a gun while fishing...

Moderator: Haggisboy

Harps
Answers: 0

Post by Harps »

How many of you carry a firearm for protection while fishing?

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fish ... ing-to-do/
It seems to be a common thing in the States, but what about other countries?

And I'm not talking about carrying a rifle to take some rabbits or a shotgun for grouse on your way back up the trail... how many of you carry just for protection?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ha ha. "Don't nymph in my hole". Erm, no :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

None whatsoever, nor would I want to even if we could, I already carry too much shit with me. I remember working out of somewhere in Canada Goose Bay or Cold Lake and out pilots being told not to shoot the bears with their 9mm pistols if they crashed and felt threatened as it would only annoy the bear.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Nope, not even if it where allowed :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
savage

Post by savage »

Depends when and where. Against rabbid squirrels and shit, but mainly against people, rabbid or not..... check Deliverance out?

Cheers
Karel
Keystone

Post by Keystone »

Hi,
Not legal to just carry a gun or a knife in the UK.
You can own a rifle/shotgun and shoot wildlife in a controlled way. You must possess a shotgun or firearms certificate to purchase the gun and ammunition. I think this is correct. Not too many bears, mountain lions etc.in the UK. Traffic wardens and tax inspectors are one of our biggest problems but you are not allowed to shoot them.
Dave.
petevicar

Post by petevicar »

I have fished in some pretty wild places with lots of bears etc.

I have visited some pretty wild places like Caracas, New York, Miami, LA, Walthamstow.

I have never thought about carrying a weapon for any reason.
I am an anti gun person and I think the US and a lot of the people who live there have some serious problems.
These problems are in their heads and they think that they can be resolved with a weapon.
IANACI
savage

Post by savage »

And what about zombie apocalypse? It can happen while you are serenly up in the mountains on a stream.....

Cheers
Karel
Harps

Post by Harps »

I didn't think of Zombies... I would need a rifle because I'm not enough of a crack shot with a handgun to make headshots at what I'd feel is a safe distance from a zombie. Better to run, hide, and fortify.

Deliverance was a great environmental movie about a dam with some very "interesting" encounters and people... I'm not sure how much that really happens in the American SE? If it does occur... fishing with a sidearm is not enough protection from hillbillies in the woods with rifles pointed at me - I would not fish there unless I had a lot of support!
Flyfishfairwx

Post by Flyfishfairwx »

Harps you may have seen my first day of stream Flynfishing Season front page 45 mins with a 4 year old grizzly. Nope, no, nadda, fucknooooo!! Would a sidearm or even shot gun have done me good. For a few reasons when he ran holy shit fast, when he was coming at me holy shit too fast. When he stared at me too close for a good sight picture. Fischer and Finn did their job and kept him confused and at bay. The spray was in my hand and ready in an instant, Actually don't remember pulling it. But have faith in the spray and you will live to fly fish another day!!
Everybody has to believe in something and I believe in Fly fishing and Fly tying and believe I will.
As in the army I have never had a bad day fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one.

Return to “Manshit”