PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Sunray Micro Thin Fly Lines

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

John Finn
Answers: 0

Post by John Finn »

http://www.snowbee.co.uk/fly-fishing/fly-lines-backing/
More info here. If this is actually a 2wt ,then it is quite feasible to cast it on a 5wt. Wouldn't be inclined to use it in wind but I regularly underline in calm conditions. The problem here is the description being used. It obviously can't be a 2wt and a 5wt at the same time. If it does what they say in wind ,then I want one..................John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It's just nonsense. The AFFTA table is pretty clear. What is one supposed to make of 2-5? What does the first 30ft weigh?

Cheers,Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Finn

Post by John Finn »

Some expert here needs to get one and properly check it out. :D
Flybye

Post by Flybye »

I think the head is 35ft or there aborts (and weighs in as near a 5# as any other line I've weighed) as the head is very thin I assume you use less of it for rods rated lower than 5#. I use it occasionally on a 3# which I only use on waters where 20ft is a long way, never bothered to look how much of the head or indeed beyond I am using on the 4# or 5#.
I use it in much the same way as I at one time used the 444sl DT 4# for a range of small to medium stream fishing.
I sacrificed cork like floating with that option too as the other options where much thicker ( more little glass spheres I believe)
TK
Keystone

Post by Keystone »

Hi,
I use my thistledown on a 2wt rod in small streams and on a 4wt rod for larger waters. Works pretty well although not perfect. the line is a poor floater and with the mono core displays memory. Snowbee describe the line as I high floater which includes nanotechnology whatever that is. Could mean whatever you fancy I guess.
The latest thistledown 2-5 and 5-7 wt. are made on a braided core, with more nanotech. I wonder if they could make a 2-7wt that would be something.
Dave.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It means technology that is nano, Dave.

Cheers,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Have just been looking at the webpage for Sunray Stuart Crofts Dry Fly line
https://sunrayflyfish.com/collections/m ... 1319769996

Q. The weights look light for their AFTM's. What weight should I buy for my rod? A. If you have a #3 rod, buy a #3 line for instance. Yes, they are physically light but they still load fully due to the physics involved.

Not only micro thin, also micro light.

Andrew
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

"they are physically light but they still load fully due to the physics involved."

I'd love to see how they explain that with physics. Have they found a way to trap a Higgs boson and extort it to spin another way? :D

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

It’s not science Graeme... it’s magic :D :D :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah ha! Yes one way of making a flyline thinner is to make it lighter!! Since many lines are heavier than AFFTA those will be thicker and so making the line lighter should have a considerable difference in diameters.

Lighter, more dense, thinner/weaker core. These are the ways to make a line thinner. The advantatages of having a thinner line for casting into the wind are more than offset by the lack of mass of course.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”