PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

I'm not a fish!

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

I'm not a fish!

Post by Paul Arden »

Absolutely! But on my phone - will write a longer reply tonight. I suppose the shortened form is suffering is a mental construct, it requires emotions, fish don't have the brain model (no neocortex) that allows emotions/feelings.

Dogs for example do have. They show feelings of jealousy. I've had a cat get jealous of another and bite me. I've never heard of a released fish turning around and biting the angler after release!

Fish don't have an awareness of self. They don't appear to have any understanding of cause and effect. They have brains that control their body functions but above that it simply stops - having a brain that allows emotions, thoughts and an awareness all comes later in the evolutionary scale.

Where we have a problem is trying to put ourselves in this world. I actually find it quite easy, especially when I first get up in the morning :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

I'm not a fish!

Post by Paul Arden »

Modern fish started to evolve 380 million years ago. The neocortex and emotions/feelings/self-awareness and reason came much later. Hell, it's pretty limited in most animals but it does exist. I don't think sheep for example are the brightest animals on the planet, but there is a glimmer in there. With fish however, that glimmer simply doesn't exist and they're no more really than moving plants - the brain exists of course, but only controls the body - there is no "mind".

To my logic emotions developed from feelings of pain and pleasure. But it takes a brain that is capable of interpreting these, a brain that has an awareness of "self". No awareness of self = no suffering. Of course the fish body reacts to external stimuli, but there is no interpreting going on in that brain that would lead to the possibility of "suffering".

Anyway that's how I understand fish. And that's why it's OK to stick hooks in them and it's not OK to stick hooks in cats.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

I'm not a fish!

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote:... and it's not OK to stick hooks in cats.

Cheers, Paul
Now you tell me! :pirate:
FFi CCI
t.z.

I'm not a fish!

Post by t.z. »

Being unrespectful to nature is cruel - cruel as in "stupid".

Not being concious is cruel / stupid. Catching fish for food is natural. Putting fishes in tanks / farming nets is unnatural = cruel. Holding animals in cages just to be slaughtered i unrespectful towards nature - cruel in other words.

Practicing C&R in areas where the ecosystem is not able to support enough ressources to fish being harvested is very OK as it helps preserving nature as a recreational ressource.

One always has to value the triangle (as in "pick any two" good, cheap, fast) - for me it starts in the supermarket where you decide what to buy for food. I have decided trying to minimize the use of "industry" food. Meat & fish produced in industrial type farms is cruel on many levels.
Nick

I'm not a fish!

Post by Nick »

Paul Arden wrote:Modern fish started to evolve 380 million years ago. The neocortex and emotions/feelings/self-awareness and reason came much later. Hell, it's pretty limited in most animals but it does exist. I don't think sheep for example are the brightest animals on the planet, but there is a glimmer in there. With fish however, that glimmer simply doesn't exist and they're no more really than moving plants - the brain exists of course, but only controls the body - there is no "mind".

To my logic emotions developed from feelings of pain and pleasure. But it takes a brain that is capable of interpreting these, a brain that has an awareness of "self". No awareness of self = no suffering. Of course the fish body reacts to external stimuli, but there is no interpreting going on in that brain that would lead to the possibility of "suffering".

Cheers, Paul
But fish are not simply automatons - it wouldn't be a whole lot of fun if they were. They are capable of learning, in response to both positive and negative stimuli. They change their behavior if they are caught, in ways that make it less likely that they will be caught again, so clearly they don't like it. Equally, it is possible to train fish to do some limited things by using food rewards, so they also respond to things they like.

Learning requires interpreting and processing of stimuli, and developing a response to those stimuli. The fact that fish can do this shows that they are aware at least to a limited degree.

N.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

I'm not a fish!

Post by Paul Arden »

Trees can be trained too. I don't think this is "learning" in the way you mean. I certainly don't believe that they "don't like" being caught. I don't think a fish can make those sort of preferences. That's how we work, not a fish. They simply respond and I do for one, believe they are automatons. There's no question about that in my mind. I've not seen anything to indicate otherwise. They simply exist.

Why is it cruel to keep fish in a tank, Thomas? The fish knows nothing else. He doesn't even know he exists.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
alp

I'm not a fish!

Post by alp »

Nick wrote:...so clearly they don't like it. ...
N.
And what about innocent bugs? They just want to fly around and being eaten by cruel fish. It does not look fine to me. When we release our fish we teach them a lesson... :p
t.z.

I'm not a fish!

Post by t.z. »

Paul Arden wrote:
Why is it cruel to keep fish in a tank, Thomas? The fish knows nothing else. He doesn't even know he exists.

Cheers, Paul
Cruel in broader sense as keeping animals trapped creates piles of shit, sick animals and the chemicals / medication needed to make such an operation work are cruel to nature as a whole - so it does not make sense. Such food tends to be unhealthy - so in other words the stupidity goes full cicle.

I do not know whether I excist either. What is that?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

I'm not a fish!

Post by Paul Arden »

If you don't exist Thomas, then who am I talking to? :p

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

I'm not a fish!

Post by t.z. »