PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

World championships in fly casting

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi All
I just change my mobile device and I lost my logins, but now I found them so I can start asking questions.

First of all congrats to all participants( Paul Bronze in trout distance- good staff).
-There was a lot of big names missing, do you think it would be different?
- Paul you used HT 10 , do you think you would go better or worse with HT COM 5?
p.s
Paul check your emails from me :ninja:
Mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Sorry Mike, I'm a bit behind on emails! Three of the same 5 weight finalists as last time. Conditions were very poor for distance on the lake. Any wind was swirly and if you were lucky you got some straight winds. Lots of other finals had a mix of head and tail winds. At this level there are only a couple of metres between the top 20 or 30 5weight casters and wind can affect casts by 5m. Hopefully next venue will be fairer for everyone. And no I go further with the Comp2 (HT10). The stroke is different for me, it's harder work, but there's a good 2m extra. The Tozites are good too, but you have to turn the section section up in by 90. Then I turn the next section up 60 from this and the last one another 60 (putting the final section out by 30).

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

No worries mate, you answer when you have time.
P.s
after reading it I think I send you another one.
Mike
JC125

Post by JC125 »

Paul Arden wrote:Sorry Mike, I'm a bit behind on emails! Three of the same 5 weight finalists as last time. Conditions were very poor for distance on the lake. Any wind was swirly and if you were lucky you got some straight winds. Lots of other finals had a mix of head and tail winds. At this level there are only a couple of metres between the top 20 or 30 5weight casters and wind can affect casts by 5m. Hopefully next venue will be fairer for everyone. And no I go further with the Comp2 (HT10). The stroke is different for me, it's harder work, but there's a good 2m extra. The Tozites are good too, but you have to turn the section section up in by 90. Then I turn the next section up 60 from this and the last one another 60 (putting the final section out by 30).

Cheers Paul
Paul : what benefits are achieved by rotating rod sections and how is done?
In the upper section which size do you use ? TKTTG torzite?
cheers James
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The advantage of having the butt section facing inside is that you are hauling against the stripping guide and not around the blank. I've always liked the top rings facing out because if there is cant in the rod it will experience some axis-twist. With the lined rings I can angle butt ring in and tip ring out with the third section between the two. I can't do this with snakes for example where this would place the line against the blank causing haul lock-up. I don't know if it makes any difference but it feels right!

I'll check the ring dimensions. The sizing is a bit odd.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Butt in- top out, i thought it always was the entire rod out up to 45°?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

If the rings don't keep the line away from the blank then for me always yes.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

But in the case of lined rings you can avoid hauling around the blank.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul, get the next one done with a spiral or acid wrap for the rings, then you don't have to turn the sections ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
DmitriB

Post by DmitriB »

Hi all!
I have casted with Paul's rod where the sections of the rod were twisted and guides were on the side. I turned them back :) I prefer to cast when guides are straight. The rod blanks have spine and I think, when you turn sections of the rod, you are also twisting the spine of a rod. If the rod is build correctly, the spine is running through all sections in a straight line and rod bends and unbends correctly. Once twisted, starts acting strangely, at least I feel so.

Return to “Casting Sport”