PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Carp

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Carp

Post by Paul Arden »

We managed to introduce an amazing amount of species that we now regret! Introducing viruses is not without problems. When they introduced Myxi into Australia they knocked back the population by 5/6ths. You'll have a lot of dead carp in the rivers! Anyway anything that's done will only be temporary. The carp fishing in Australia is excellent and rather similar to Spain. Eastern Europeans eat carp, as did the monks in the UK. I can send you some Hungarian recipes? :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jason Stratford
Answers: 0

Carp

Post by Jason Stratford »

Always interesting to hear the differences in views about catching carp. In Europe it seems they are highly prized yet for most Aussies they are despised.

In New South Wales (a State of Australia) carp do not have to be killed and are able to be returned to the waters they were taken from.

There are quite a few carp fly fishermen here that follow the approach that if a carp takes you into the backing then they are released...if not...well...the local pelicans get a feed if you know what I mean.

Bernd...if you make it to Australia...happy to show you my local carp lake and creeks. No record size mirrors but average size is in the 70cms range.

Paul...can you email some recipes for carp...I would be interested to see if I can tempt anyone into taste testing!

Cheers
A perfectly laid down 60 foot cast will catch more fish than casting to the backing knot on your 120' fly line...particularly when most times you'll just throw an 80 foot 'wiggle cast'.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Carp

Post by Paul Arden »

Will do, Jason!

It's not just carp that anglers have different views over. In Bosnia Grayling are prized, brown trout not. In the UK chalkstreams the other way around. Americans often consider Bull Trout to be trash fish. Snakehead are invasive and so killed. In SE Asia Snakehead are highly prized and so on.

Here they sell live carp in the supermarkets which you can buy for dinner. Actually I think they've stopped this. Good thing too, I saw one jump out and was kicked across the floor by one of the staff. Maybe an Australian:p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
queenfish

Carp

Post by queenfish »

[Bernd...if you make it to Australia...happy to show you my local carp lake and creeks. No record size mirrors but average size is in the 70cms range.]

Bernd don't miss this offer if you can.
Haggisboy

Carp

Post by Haggisboy »

Carp used to be classed as trash in the States but after a surge in popularity as a fly caught species they are now a fashionable fish to catch. Rio and other manufacturers are making carp specific lines. Jay Zimmerman just released a great carp book on flies and carp. it's well worth a read and has many great patterns for those who are interested.
Stu Jamieson

Carp

Post by Stu Jamieson »

What makes a "carp specific" line, I wonder.
alex vulev

Carp

Post by alex vulev »

the label written on the box i guess.
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly
Bernd Ziesche

Carp

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Australia is high on my list for the next years!
Definetly I will not leave out any offer here! Thanks a lot!!!

A carp line in general is crap in my opinion.
I would choose the line by presentation distances and flies to cast in the first place. Then it also would have to match my typical type of casting (Spey casting or overhead casting depending on the water I fish...).
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Haggisboy

Carp

Post by Haggisboy »

I know the Rio line is a warm water line, but yeah marketing nonsense....
Jason Stratford

Carp

Post by Jason Stratford »

Bernd...the offer is on the table even if it is next year...if you make it to Australia I am more than happy to show you a few places! Its a big country...plenty of fishing in fresh and saltwater!

Cheers!
A perfectly laid down 60 foot cast will catch more fish than casting to the backing knot on your 120' fly line...particularly when most times you'll just throw an 80 foot 'wiggle cast'.

Return to “Flyfishing”