PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Marking lines

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

MST
Answers: 0

Marking lines

Post by MST »

Hi all
I am one of these clowns who can't remember which line I stick on a given reel 12 months after I do.
Have anybody devised a good system, which will enable me to recognise what I am fishing with.
I am thinking putting a sticker on the back of the spool, but haven't found any that can stand the exposure to moisture, as one might expect in a fishing environment.
Any proposal will be appreciated.

Cheers
Morten
crunch

Marking lines

Post by crunch »

I weight lines and shooting heads using a scale with .01g resolution and write also colors and SH lengths so they are easy to verify if I forget what it is. Computers eventually crash so I use plain notebook. I store lines in marked Zip Lock bags and which are empty are in reels.

Esa
crunch

Marking lines

Post by crunch »

If you want to mark lines you could use binary coding and permanent marker. For example if you have black stripes 7cm, 3cm and 1cm from the end it is 1000101 which makes 64+4+1 so it is line #69 which has own datapage in notebook.
Guy

Marking lines

Post by Guy »

I do it this way - simple but very effective (don't forget to do both ends)
MST

Marking lines

Post by MST »

Thank you guys.
I will try to work out a combination that'll work for me.
At least I have a starting point :)

Morten
Marc Fauvet

Marking lines

Post by Marc Fauvet »

crunch wrote:If you want to mark lines you could use binary coding and permanent marker. For example if you have black stripes 7cm, 3cm and 1cm from the end it is 1000101 which makes 64+4+1 so it is line #69 which has own datapage in notebook.
woW !... :D :cool: :D
crunch

Marking lines

Post by crunch »

Marc Fauvet wrote: woW !... :D :cool: :D
Thanks! (I hope) :laugh:

Like I wrote I don't use binary coding but will if I need. Actually binary coding needs the least number of markings and it grows when needed. Perhaps it become clearer when wide stripe is "one" and narrow stripe is "zero". With only four stripes there are 16 possibilities and when you add one stripe there are 32 possibilities etc. But of course just serial number does not tell anything without notes somewhere.

Problem with the system Guy linked is that without notes, at least color, you can forget the line type if you have many same wt lines. But then I don't trust line #wt numbers in the first place.

Esa
andrewparkeruk

Marking lines

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Morten, do you keep your reels/spools in a case? I don't have trouble knowing my line, but do need help remembering the leader attached to the line. I make a note of the leader makeup and keep in a small ziplock inside the reel case (the leaders I use often come in a ziplock). Usually there is only one reel out of the case, and only one empty case so this works for me:-)
Could easily be adapted to make/model of flyline.
Andrew
Marc Fauvet

Marking lines

Post by Marc Fauvet »

Andrew, for leaders try the X-Stripe. it's not very binary but it works well :D
the leader pack that stays in the reel bag gets a quick mark: which line and date.

http://thelimpcobra.com/2011/09/30/x-stripes/

Return to “Tackle”