PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Welcome Jason Borger

Moderator: Paul Arden

Jason Borger
Answers: 0

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Merlin wrote:Hi Jason

Not at all Jason; thanks for referencing me. There are a few new articles on Walter’s MCI Study Group site, and also on this blog from John Symonds (John's blog). You may have a look at them.

I'm looking forward reading your new book.

Cheers

Merlin
I'm on Walter's list, so got the most recent stuff. I'll pop over to John's blog, as well. I'll have to shoot some reading material your way, too.
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Jason Borger

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Paul Arden wrote: So what are the skills that make a great Spring Creek angler in the US, Jason? This sort of fishing is pretty much an unknown for me. Our European "technical fishing" means getting very good at Nymphing!

Have you ever fished for Snakehead Jason? I think you'd love the casting challenge. In fact you must come over sometime to try for Gourami. These fish look at the fly for at least 10 seconds before eating or not!

Incidentally is French Nymphing a bit thing in the US?

Cheers, Paul
Being able to manage drift and drag, and being willing to fish size 22s! :D Or put another way, knowing ones way around mends (aerial especially), reading currents and getting drifts that go where they're supposed to go. It can also mean nymphing deep. One of my Swedish pals played that card on Silver Creek in Idaho and became a local legend one afternoon. if I could give people one bit advice, it would be to fish the water like a thinker—no ritualistic dogma! :pirate: That means, fish up, up-and-across, across, down-and-across, and down, as the situation warrants. Down-current drag-reduced drifts can be the best way to success sometimes. :upside: Doubt I am saying anything you don't already know, but its the execution that gets people. And realizing that the hatch you see may not the hatch that the fish are interested in (masking hatches).Oh, and fish a lot of emergers. How's that? :p

I have never fished snakeheads, although my father has (he spent months in Thailand in the past). Gourami sound like tropical Yellowstone cutthroat—achingly long inspection before eating (or not). Ever fished for bullheads?

French nymphing can be a bit of a thing.
Walter

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Walter »

Jason Borger wrote: I'm on Walter's list, so got the most recent stuff.
Good thing I've only said nice things about you and your dad! :D

Anytime you feel like adding some comments to the group... :whistle: :pirate:
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Paul Arden »

No I haven't fished for bullheads :p

How did things go with the motion capture flycasting studies you were doing? Is this still an on going thing? What were the big lessons?

Love your Spring Creek reply by the way :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Jason,
welcome to the board!
How many hours (or days?) have you spent fly casting (fluff at the end of your line) and how many fly fishing (fly on trying to get a hook up)?
Thanks
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Eagle Crest

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Eagle Crest »

Hi Jason,

Paul mentioned 'motion capture' flycasting studies. Are you measuring line speed at all? If you have an easy method to measure line speed could you share it? I have ideas but if I can shorten the learning curve on some experiments that I'm planning on running, all the better.

Thanks,

Steve
Veni, Vidi, Pisci
Jason Borger

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Good thing I've only said nice things about you and your dad! :D

Anytime you feel like adding some comments to the group... :whistle: :pirate:[/quote]

I'll make myself known at the precise strategic moment! ;)
Jason Borger

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Paul Arden wrote:No I haven't fished for bullheads :p

How did things go with the motion capture flycasting studies you were doing? Is this still an on going thing? What were the big lessons?

Love your Spring Creek reply by the way :cool:

Cheers, Paul
Mo-cap is in hiatus for now, but have hopes to get back to it in the next year or two. Most of the lessons learned involved biomechanics, but the rod/line side of things served to back-up a number of other observations (Grunde, Casting Analyzer, etc.). Was also cool to see things like the Corkscrew, Thrust, and so on, behave at the high frame-rates. Just solidified concepts about what was really going on. Computer also takes the human BS factor out, as well the uncertainty factor that can creep in with 2-D video.
Jason Borger

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Eagle Crest wrote:Hi Jason,

Paul mentioned 'motion capture' flycasting studies. Are you measuring line speed at all? If you have an easy method to measure line speed could you share it? I have ideas but if I can shorten the learning curve on some experiments that I'm planning on running, all the better.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve--We did some measurements, but like the work that Grunde did with high-speed video, our efforts looked at haul speed and line speed at loop launch. If you're after final loop turnover, I don't have that data.

Try zebra marking a line at specific intervals, and then see how far those stripes move over time.
Jason Borger

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Bernd Ziesche wrote:Hi Jason,
welcome to the board!
How many hours (or days?) have you spent fly casting (fluff at the end of your line) and how many fly fishing (fly on trying to get a hook up)?
Thanks
Bernd
If you mean overall since the beginning, I have no idea. If you mean lately, it's been basically all casting the last few weeks. Although i still have to shoot the D-loop images for the book (has to be on water, of course), so I'll be gearing up and fishing once I get the needed pix each day.

Overall, I cast more than I fish, which isn't saying much since I can walk across the street to a private park and cast all day long if I really get the itch. I don't have fish *quite* that close.

Return to “A week with...”