PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Welcome Charles Jardine!!!

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Charles,

how are you my friend? It's been a while since we've caught up. I don't think you need any introductions, you're almost certainly the most famous fly fisherman in Europe.

So I'll kick off with a few questions :)

One of the best fly tying encyclopaedias I've read has been Sotheby's Guide to Fly Fishing. This was a big eye-opener for me back then, especially with the wealth of US patterns. How long did that book take you to write? It seems like a huge amount of work.

Secondly I'm pretty sure you told me you were in a punk band, what sort of music do you listen to nowadays and what was your role in the band? Do you have any recordings we can hear? :p

And last one for now, we have a thread going on at the moment about "Eureka Moments" - what have been yours?

Many thanks Charles - have a wonderful week with us! I shall be in every second day this week since I'm guiding on a 6 day fishing trip where we camp in the jungle every second night. Looking forward very much to reading your worldly thoughts!

Cheers,
Paul

PS Welcome to the Board :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Charles Jardine
Answers: 0

Post by Charles Jardine »

Paul, Hello! and all you very strange casting gods. This is a quick response to just announce that I have actually broken a "habit of a lifetime" and signed on to a forum page. I detest them, normally. And quite honestly "why me?": every one casts better on theses pages ...and the characters involved, are all folk I aspire to be like and cast like...I am just grateful to actually get a fly line out on the water - actually, anywhere. Oh! by the way...I detest and Loathe Tenkara ...is that OK to say here? Will I go to hell?
Now, as for the music business: Yup..absolutely right; but I was in a rock band, one that wanted everything "louder than everything else" . I was the worst singer in rock and roll history and it was way back in the late sixties and early 70's so pre dated Punk. We toured with the likes of Slade, Hawkwind(now that was an experience, very early Quo (around Pile Driver era)) Stray and so on....it was carnage. And, fabulous. Would not have missed it for the world.
Re Sotheby's I will give the warts and all story behind it later....must dash, grayling to catch, and there is not much left of the season and a dog to walk.....good excuses, both.
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Charles Jardine wrote:We toured with the likes of Slade, Hawkwind(now that was an experience, very early Quo (around Pile Driver era)) Stray and so on....it was carnage.
So, wait a second...Are you telling us that we now have one degree of separation from the late Lemmy? The things you find out on Sexyloops! :p And Charles, I would have taken you more for a Simon and Garfunkel opener. Now I have to wrap my head around this galactic shift for the next week. :D
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Mr. Jardine,
Congratulations on starting your fishing for schools program.

In the U.S. the cost to get started in fly fishing is a big impediment to getting started in the sport for kids. This being the era of video games, spotting a teenager fishing here in the U.S. is about as likely as seeing a Unicorn.

Gordy
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Naaaah, Charles and I have been Facebook friends for some years, and I'll add - friends out there in the real world for much longer, thankfully, and I have seen bits and pieces here and there on Charles' Facebook-page that lets one know that Charles likes rock :-).

I have a question: We all know of your angling and casting prowess, and I suppose most know also that you are one of the finest artists and illustrators in the flyfishing business. Right behind me now stands the first non-Danish book I bought on fly fishing - Dark Pools, and I love it still. Every little illustration is a work of art. But the question - have you ever done any art or illustration that is not flyfishing related?

Great to have you here, and thanks for breaking your self-induced forum hiatus :-). Breaking that hiatus by joining this Board is probably not the wisests decision you'll make in 2016 :-).

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Have you ever considered cutting off one of your ears?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Massew

Post by Massew »

Welcome Charles, I'm pleased to have you here. I saw you at a fair in Stockholm some 7 or 8 years ago and I enjoyed your demo. That was before I took an interest in flycasting but I don't think I remember anything from demos I had seen before.

I read that you took a part in the start of the flycasting instructor part of the FFF. How were those meetings?

Many of the flies you cover in Ff & Ft are quite simple. Is it important to you that flies are easily tied? I'm still tying rather complicated flies because it's more fun. Not that the fish cares but I like the challenge.

Which is your favourite presentation cast?

Cheers, Mathias
IFFF CCI
"The motives of fishermen are dreadfully obscure" - David Eddings
Charles Jardine

Paul Arden wrote:Have you ever considered cutting off one of your ears?
So many times...So very many...arms, legs and torso, too.
Charles Jardine

To all of you : Thank you. All my gurus...in one place, amazing.
Having a day job makes responding tricky and fractured...I will, I promise, get back to all of you this evening...for now Fishing 4 Schools calls .....later my casting gods...later. :yeahhh:
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Charles,
nice to read you here!
Long time no see. I think last we met was in Yellowstone? I remember pretty well your fly casting demo about casting styles. It was an excellent demo and it was a pitty that such few people took the oppurtunity to watch it! Anyway I watched it and I liked both yours and Alex's his part on demoing.
How much are you into teaching fly casting these days?
What was the best fly fishing you ever experienced yet?
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Return to “A week with...”