PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Welcome Dr William McGlinn

Moderator: Paul Arden

gordonjudd
Answers: 0

Post by gordonjudd »

A flycast?
Lasse,
So if the trailing leg has no slack are you saying the speed of the fly end of the line along its path will be different than the tip speed along its path up to a point just before RSP1?

If the length of the line from the tip to the fly does not change (i.e. no stretching or slack) how could that be possible?
Gordy
VGB

Post by VGB »

gordonjudd wrote: Lasse,
So if the trailing leg has no slack are you saying the speed of the fly end of the line along its path will be different than the tip speed along its path up to a point just before RSP1?

If the length of the line from the tip to the fly does not change (i.e. no stretching or slack) how could that be possible?
Gordy
Gordy

Can you draw what this line layout looks like?

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Paul, tell me how this works, you're moving the line in direction x at a velocity of 100 mph (tip plus haul) haul ends and the tip goes in direction y at 80 mph and slowing down. How does that increase the lines velocity?
Ah, I think I see the issue now, Lasse was talking about fly leg velocity and the tip slowing down, Gordy is talking about fly speed and the tip being at its highest speed. It would help if the scenario didn't keep moving.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Walter

Post by Walter »

And nobody is thinking about x and y components of velocity.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Walter wrote:Did the fly end move? How far did you have to move the rod end before the fly end started to move?
No but somehow it doesn't look like a fly cast. So what keeps the rail tracks in place? Skin drag?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote:
Walter wrote:Did the fly end move? How far did you have to move the rod end before the fly end started to move?
No but somehow it doesn't look like a fly cast. So what keeps the rail tracks in place? Skin drag?

Cheers, Paul
Normally I would say Newton, but this is Sexyloops where two of his laws have already been disproven, and the most obvious solutions are debated ad nauseum (with a big emphasis on the nausea part). So I'm going to say it has something to do with dark matter. :upside: :p

Ps. Does it look a bit like that brief period between fly line all straight and loop formation?

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

No but somehow it doesn't look like a fly cast. So what keeps the rail tracks in place?
Paul,
As Walter said there are no physical constraints like train tracks that would force the path of the fly to exactly follow the exact same path of the rod tip. I think that is a pretty obvious fact that you can see from high speed videos. Gravity seems to have its own say about these things.

I can now see that for the literally minded the train example was a poor analogy. I was just trying to point out that as long as there was a fixed length between the engine and the caboose then the caboose would have the same speed along its path at any point in time compared to the speed of the engine even though the caboose may be on a straight piece of track while the engine is going around a curve. I.e. thinking about comparative speeds not comparative velocities.

In regards to paths, a section of line will tend to follow the path of the line in front of it, so you will find the fly end of the line follows a path that is similar to the tip path. You can see that fact in high speed videos as well. Note I said similar not exactly the same.

The way I calculate the tip speed along its path is to measure the arc length of that path as function of time and then take a derivative of that length vs time function to get ds/dt speed curve along that path.

I have yet to see a video that tracks the tip path and the path of the fly in the same frame, but if one existed I am saying that you could calculate the ds/dt speed curve for the tip along its path and the ds/dt speed curve for the fly along its path and you would find that the two ds/dt speed profiles would nominally be the same.

That is assuming the length of line connecting the two remains constant and that line shape does have any slack or crazy shapes. But I think that for good casts the shape of the line between the rod tip and the fly while the rod tip is accelerating along its path (another derivative unfortunately) may not be straight, but is not full of twists and turns either.

So back to your original question,
what I'm asking is if the rod tip is still accelerating will this result in acceleration at the fly end?
The absolute value of the acceleration in the x and y directions will be different, but the acceleration of the rod tip along its path and the acceleration of the fly along its path (the derivative of similar ds/dt curves) will nominally be the same. So the answer to your question is yes.

Gordy
Walter

Post by Walter »

No.

A^2 + B^2 = A^2 iff (if and only if) B = O.

VGB

Post by VGB »

The engine is pulling and the caboose doesn't move at the same time

https://vimeo.com/163408827

gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

The engine is pulling and the caboose doesn't move at the same time
Vince,
Do you think there might be a difference between your static example (i.e. fly end is not moving), and what I am talking about where the fly is trailing behind the rod tip as the rod tip is being accelerated along its path? I do.

Lets try to compare apples to apples, and find an example where the trailing fly's velocity does not increase at the same time the rod tip speed is increasing as it goes to RSP1.

Thanks for looking,
A^2 + B^2 = A^2 iff (if and only if) B = O.
Walter,
I am not sure of the point your are trying to make but how would you compute the speed of an object that was moving along some curved path?

I would do it by setting it equal to sqrt(x_vel.^2 + y_vel.^2), and I think if you did the comparative calculations you would find the ds/dt calculation would give you the same value as taking the square root of the sum of the squares. Pythagoras was on to something don't you think?

Gordy

Return to “A week with...”