PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tracking ... tracking ... tracking

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Phil Blackmar

Re: Tracking ... tracking ... tracking

Post by Phil Blackmar » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:31 pm

Nick and Paul-

Nick, thank you for the notes and the shortcuts....

I figured out my back cast this morning by eliminating my haul. Once the haul was out, I could start to feel the line and load in the rod. Timing came back and then I added the haul. Although I can't make a super tight loop straight over the top, the top line is energetic, straight and carries all the way thru the turnover.

The closed stance is interesting and I think I see what you are getting at Paul with your comment about throwing directly over the Rod. I still need to true up the tracking though as the layout over 70 feet continues to have the little zig zag at the end.

More importantly, how in the world do you keep from killing yourself. The fly is whipping by awfully close to my head, and on the back cast, looks like it shoots up directly over my head at the last instant perilously close to my face. I'm seeing trips to the hospital in my future when I start adding hooks to the fly...LOL

That you both again.

Phil

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:28 pm

:D

Start with a short line, no more than 20’ and build from there.

Your other option is instead of 12 o’ clock, 1 o’ clock is 5 minutes past twelve. But for the drill 12 is best.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:26 am

Hi Nick-

In regards to using the mirror each morning working on tracking....I changed my putting stroke on tour in the late 1980's to where I kept the putter face square to the line of the putt rather than swinging on an arc. One way I checked it was using a putter designed by Zebra which had a laser in the face. I would line it up on tile on the floor which tied into the edge of a door or corner of a wall. As I took strokes, I kept the laser swinging on the tile line and up the door's edge which meant the face was square.

Now imagine a laser sticking out of the butt of a fly rod. Point the laser on the grout line on the floor and as you make a stroke backwards, keep the laser pointing on the grout line and and up the side of the door. If the rod changes planes or wanders off line, the laser will move off the grout line or door's edge.....This would be a little more dynamic feedback to practice tracking. If the laser in powerful enough, you could even do it outside when making a cast....

Thanks again for the help Nick...

Phil

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:34 am

There are several options for this product....https://nueby.com/product/laser-golf-sw ... gIQRPD_BwE

easterncaster

Post by easterncaster » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:24 pm

Paul Arden wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:19 pm
Hi Phil,

Ok several things here. ...

The nice thing is I don’t have to repeat myself now, as I would in the field, because it’s all written above :D

Cheers, Paul
:whistle:

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi Phil,
Phil Blackmar wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:34 am
There are several options for this product....https://nueby.com/product/laser-golf-sw ... gIQRPD_BwE
What an absolutely fantastic idea, this is why it's great to speak to to different people. On my HT you can remove the fighting butt, so i may be able to modify the screw size so that it fits in perfectly. I like the similarities between golf and casting. Nice one!

All the best!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:52 pm

Hi Paul-

I get it now...yeehaw.....You end up in nearly the same position open stance distance cast as closed stance accuracy cast: the distance cast is just more dynamic.....Using the laser on the wall allowed me to see and feel it.

Windy next three days making it hard to practice, but the little I was able to do was encouraging and backed up what I saw with the laser......

Thank you for your patience....

Phil

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:29 am

Hi Paul and Nick-

Using the laser for distance tracking practice.

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:54 am

Hi Phil,

Something I do – and I’ve just realised that it’s going to be a challenge the way your laser is currently set up and would need a modified position – is instead of holding the rod like this on the backcast...
55F699C4-D220-4AE9-A0F2-5AD879E7D21B.png
55F699C4-D220-4AE9-A0F2-5AD879E7D21B.png (347.86 KiB) Viewed 138 times
Is to hold it like this...
5A876AE5-4324-4D4A-AC0F-DB8161287B38.jpeg
You’ll find that a lot of distance casters here use this grip for the backcast. I think there are more important things but it’s something to play with from time to time.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:59 am

What grip do you change to for the forward cast?

Return to “Flycasting”