PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tracking ... tracking ... tracking

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Tracking ... tracking ... tracking

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:08 am

:p
CE3F2F90-7942-470A-8F1B-D498BCA4D11A.jpeg
CE3F2F90-7942-470A-8F1B-D498BCA4D11A.jpeg (20.74 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Tom switched the engine on, the loop of line was dangling in the water, got stuck in some floating stuff, sucked into the prop and the fly went in with such force it snapped the leader!

Lesson learned: hold the hook with the point upwards, preferably at the bend. Mind you it’s never happened again :pirate:

I pulled it out myself. Damned if I was going to waste time in hospital.

I was talking to a guy here recently who managed to cast a barbed hook into his eye. Ouch. He sent me some photos.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:50 pm

Ooooouuuuchhh. I do know the feeling. I was off shore fishing for grouper/snapper with a 4 ounce jig complete with 7/0 hook. I caught a small 2 red snapper. When I swung it in, snapper came off in the jig flew towards my face. I put my palm up and it stuck similar to yours. The barbmust not of been too far into the muscle and it really popped when I pulled it out. I then I ran it through the skin and cut off the barb to get it out. Fun days. :)

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:08 am

Tom White and Gordy were the evaluators for my CI... can you imagine how intimidated I was?
"Technique is the proof of your seriousness"

Wallace Stevens

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:11 am

:) :) I bet that was a fun test! They were both very kind to take me out when I was there. Gordy is a star.

That Tarpon hook under the palm didn’t hurt at all. A barbed trout hook under your fingernail - now that hurts - at least by all accounts. I had a friend who managed to accomplish this! He carried on fishing of course, but in the end he had to rip it out.

I used to remove a lot of hooks in the fishing lodge. First few weekends of the season would be a busy time for this. It’s a long time ago now but I put two of my friends in hospital with muddler minnows.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:32 am

Suggestions for best 11 or 12wt sink tip fly line for long shots to Cobia or Tarpon??? Thanks Phil

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:56 pm

That’s a good question Phil! I’d stick it in the tackle section. You definitely have to be careful that the line is not overweight which unfortunately seems to have become the normal with SW lines. I’d be looking for a 60ft head, long rear taper, bang on AFFTA. Going to be hard!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:41 am

Phil,

I could not find this in the tackle section, so I'll post my response here and Paul can move both.

I am currently testing a SA saltwater line that may be somewhat like what you are looking for. Lets see if I can do it from memory: it is an Infinity Amplitude Smooth saltwater intermediate camo... or something like that. I believe it is relatively new.

I am trying a 9wt line on a 10wt Scott Sector because as Paul suspected the lines are a bit heavy for their label.

I have fished it a few times now and generally I like it and expect it will work well for what I intend to use it for: backwater large tarpon. The camo head sinks just about right and it does seem to have reduced visibility. It is really just a clear head that has been dyed with muted colors in sections. The running line is very smooth and bright blue so it is easy to see and feel where you are when retrieving the line.

However, I personally am having a hard time getting a lot of distance out of the line. The front is around 50 feet if I remember correctly but the head seems very abrupt. At least for me, it tucks over sooner than I can get a lot of shoot. And I am not using really small flies.

On the last trip I began to false cast more to get well back into the rear taper and that seems to help, but after stripping all the way back to the boat that gets old quick. So... I am not sure I would call it a distance line.

Of course, I may change my opinion after the line and I get more acquainted.
"Technique is the proof of your seriousness"

Wallace Stevens

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:29 am

I think it’s a long rear taper and very short front. Great for short to medium shots. No good for long shots/carries IMO. I’m not sure they currently make the sort of line that many of us here would like. Eg a MED with clear tip in 11-12 Weight and tropical. They would probably sell about 20/year. :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:30 pm

Hey Phil, I asked SA what was closest to my suggestion...
The closest offering (not real close) would be to underline the Grand Slam Clear Tip (https://www.scientificanglers.com/produ ... clear-tip/) by one size, but you’re 20’ short of a 60’ head length. The Grand Slam is ¾ heavy, so you’d be slightly under AFFTA standard by underlining.
Cheers,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:42 pm

Great info, Thx.

Paul, you say there "would only be 20 sold per year". Is that because most people aren't capable of throwing a big rod a long ways?

I have recently been invited into the "Circle" of a local fly fishing group. Some of the most experienced and dedicated fly fishermen/women in our area. Several of us went to a park to cast and discuss casting two weeks ago. Two of the anglers had converted boat rods into fly rods for heavy offshore applications. There were three of those rods present that day with various lines.

One rod had an old SA Tarpon F/S 12 wt line on it. Although the rod is short (8') and very stiff, I could throw a good sized fly 90-100 feet with that combination and very few false casts. He said it was some sort of older "slime" line. We live in a windy area and the need to make numerous false casts while trying to stand on a bobbing boat is a recipe for disaster. :) :)

At the same time, no one else in the small group could throw the set-up more than 50-60 ft.....This group likes to wade fish and most seem very accurate with very tight loops out to 50-60 ft but struggle to get any more out of there cast. I suppose this may be typical.

I have come up with a "new to me" side arm low cast that is very cool and accurate. If you hold the rod perpendicular to your target line, with the line extended to the target laying on the ground, and make some small circles with the rod tip, you will make small loops in the line n the ground. These loops will be 12/6 oriented if the rod tip does not go too far forward. If you now make a cast, where on the forward cast you do the same thing, you can "roll" the line out creating any size loop you desire. The 12/6 orientation means the fly lays straight out without any kick to the side meaning more control. You guys probably already know this cast but I had not seen it before. It's a very cool application..

Thanks again for you help.

Phil

Return to “Flycasting”