PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

becoming a good fly caster

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Snake Pliskin
Answers: 0

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: A good instructor is a good way to jump the learning curve, but without the skills to move and the will to practice, it is very much like buying another rod in the belief that it will make you a better caster.
Cheers
Lasse
I agree. Some people just don't move well, but like anything else, movement and an awareness of what their body is doing can be learned. My goal is to always get to the level where the movements we make become unconscious. That way, we can concentrate on what the line or fly is doing without having to think too much about what physical adjustments we need to make to get the result we're after.
Steve.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote:
Bernd Ziesche wrote:In fly casting I have seen quite some very good casters, which I think would never make it to a top level in those other sports. So my question is how much of those physical and sensomotoric abilities do we really need to become a top fly caster?
Interesting comment and one that has bothered me. Sport has never been a problem for me but I have struggled with fly casting, same with my middle son. My eldest lad, who is not a natural sportsman in the traditional sense find it easy. Which particular abilities do you think that a fly caster needs that is not prevalent in traditional sports?

regards

Vince
Hi Vince

What kind of sports did you do?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
VGB

Post by VGB »

Lasse

Some reasonably serious football, basketball, volleyball and judo in county leagues. As a youth I also triple and high jumped to a reasonable standard. My 2nd and 3rd rounds of golf were in a works competition in Scotland where I came 18th out of 32. My middle son is very similar but rugby, football and discus were his big things. Both of us have struggle with fly casting. My eldest son did not show any sporting ability until he took up fencing at about 16, then Tae Kwan Do and climbing. He was casting like a demon within an hour of picking up a rod.

I noted your comparison to dancing, I have white mans rhythm :ninja:

regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
The Dog

Post by The Dog »

A very difficult question, I think one without the other does not have much value.
Yet at the same time I will choose a priority item "A" :p
Marc Fauvet

Post by Marc Fauvet »

Steve and Lasse have it right. people who have difficulty casting most usually have a difficult time relating to how their body moves in space and time. compound that with something that is controlled +/- 3m away from their body with a stick and it can't really work well and consistently until they acquire and develop this ability. add lack of visualization and you'll have a very challenging student... :D :cool: :pirate:

cheers,
marc
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi Guys
I think it need some time too. Bernd didnt ask "how fast you can become a good fly caster?"
Marc Fauvet wrote:Steve and Lasse have it right. people who have difficulty casting most usually have a difficult time relating to how their body moves in space and time. compound that with something that is controlled +/- 3m away from their body with a stick and it can't really work well and consistently until they acquire and develop this ability.
marc
I had exactly the same case, my student just couldnt desing a circle in the air with the rod tip, but who knows how he is going to cast in a week.

I would add DETERMINATION, if you really want to learn something, it can be done. All the thinngs described before can help to do it faster of course.

Lasse doesnt look like Arnold Shwarzeneger :p (no offence Lasse), but he is a world class caster, MCCI,CBOG,THCI,AAPGAI, and big time distance caster as well. I think he achived that becouse he practice a lot and I think he really wanted to be , where he is now.
Ive red on Mike Heritage blog( another well known caster and MCCI), after he changed casting from the grass to the water it wasnt so easy, and he had to focus on things from the begining.

PASSION, another element. ( it is not a poethry post :D ), somebody said to me, if I put so much heart and time in any other thing, as Im puting in fly casting practice, I could move montains.

Being athlethic, not so much I think. Too much risk with overpowering. Holding thight ( ball, dumbells cricket bat...), or maybe it is just me.

PRACTISE,PRACTISE,PRACTISE today there is fucking nothing for free. You want a great fly rod- youmhave to pay for the quallity. Do you want to be a good fly caster, go out there with the rod and PRACTISE.
Fuck I finished the whole mug of coffe writing this... refeel
cheers
mike
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

You overthink it Vince...makes you tense.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote:Lasse

Some reasonably serious football, basketball, volleyball and judo in county leagues. As a youth I also triple and high jumped to a reasonable standard. My 2nd and 3rd rounds of golf were in a works competition in Scotland where I came 18th out of 32. My middle son is very similar but rugby, football and discus were his big things. Both of us have struggle with fly casting. My eldest son did not show any sporting ability until he took up fencing at about 16, then Tae Kwan Do and climbing. He was casting like a demon within an hour of picking up a rod.

I noted your comparison to dancing, I have white mans rhythm :ninja:

regards

Vince
Hi Vince

The movement qualities needed for the different sports you mention are different, I'm not surpriced that your eldest took it on like a demon....

I'm curious though that the skills in basket and volley hasn't helped you, but Mark has a good point!

Chefens
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Ps. White mans rythm is a myth!

Marc Fauvet

Post by Marc Fauvet »

VGB wrote: I noted your comparison to dancing, I have white mans rhythm :ninja:
:p...

Return to “Teaching”