PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Issue with marketing

Moderator: Haggisboy

Vicente G
Answers: 0

Re: Issue with marketing

Post by Vicente G »

Michal Duzynski wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:00 am Im just board before work, and Im having glass of wine.
Decided to scribble an imaginary review of an imaginary fly rod.
Put some famous name behind it and some pictures and I think the sales can go up :p

"Hi guys
Let me tell you about this new awsome fly rod.
  Its an improved version of rod A 10wt and it calls Bplus 10wt.
  Iam very impressed with it and I decided to put my thoughts in this review.
  Dont get me wrong rod A is still great rod, but in Bplus looks like the rod makers put everything together and this is now my 10wt rod to go.
  Now lets start with the blank, its 3g lighter then rodA, but at the same time stronger due to the new graphite technology. 3g less gives you lower swing weight and it means that you can cast this rod for hours on the flats and your arm wont suffer.
 New reel seat, it holds the reel like rod A, but the looks.. you will love it.
 The blank feel strong and fast, but its not a broomstik.
  For this review I pair this rod with new line in 10wt, but new lines now are made half or full line weight heavier in order to easy load the beast like Bplus.

Casting,
guys you should see the loops. Nice pointy, aerodinamic, just beautifull.  The differece Ive noticed from rod A is, that my loops have less waves in them, the new thechnology in a tip in Bplus is just amazing. The tip just bounce back and stop, sending super fast loop over the horizon. I hope you know what I mean. No bouncing rod tip= extra line speed.
  The new rod Bplus is also more forgiving than the rod A, sometimes I made a mistake in my stroke ( too wide arc, or to narrow arc), but the Bplus forgives that and send perfect loop.
Wow- what an improvment, and it took only 6months.

Distance- with rodA yes I hit 80feet, but I had to add some effort, now with Bplus, 90 feet seems like a breeze, and what the improoved Bplus also gives you is the fatigue less chucking GT flies on a 6/0 hooks.

Lets talk about accuracy, and this is where Im most impress with the new Bplus fly rod.
  I did my test on the 60feet target. WOW- again guys. Almost pinpoit accuracy, with awsome loops, and zero effort. The way I compare this with my second favorite rod A is that with rod A my fly sometimes kick about foot away to the right or to the left from a target, and you what happen- you loose the chance of hookup. Bplus just deliver the fly where I want it.

Thumbs up and I hope you liked my review of a new and imprived rod A, with new awsome name Bplus.

Dont worry if you dont have a chance for a practice cast at your local flyshop. I cast so many different rods, and cought so many different fish,  that you can trust me as I put all my money on it.
  And at the price of $1200 its a really good deal for a perfect fly rod.
  Tight lines"

Cheers
Mike
I just saw the new helios 4 video and literally this is the exact same script it was very funny reading this after seeing the video LOL, yo need to add to the script that it boosted your catch rate by at least 80% because the marketing department people love percentages :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: and they even said the rod can track even better with 4x more accuracy, maybe in the future I won't even need to cast it because it will do it alone while I stay seated on the riverbank lol
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

Vicente G wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:29 pm
Michal Duzynski wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:00 am Im just board before work, and Im having glass of wine.
Decided to scribble an imaginary review of an imaginary fly rod.
Put some famous name behind it and some pictures and I think the sales can go up :p

"Hi guys
Let me tell you about this new awsome fly rod.
  Its an improved version of rod A 10wt and it calls Bplus 10wt.
  Iam very impressed with it and I decided to put my thoughts in this review.
  Dont get me wrong rod A is still great rod, but in Bplus looks like the rod makers put everything together and this is now my 10wt rod to go.
  Now lets start with the blank, its 3g lighter then rodA, but at the same time stronger due to the new graphite technology. 3g less gives you lower swing weight and it means that you can cast this rod for hours on the flats and your arm wont suffer.
 New reel seat, it holds the reel like rod A, but the looks.. you will love it.
 The blank feel strong and fast, but its not a broomstik.
  For this review I pair this rod with new line in 10wt, but new lines now are made half or full line weight heavier in order to easy load the beast like Bplus.

Casting,
guys you should see the loops. Nice pointy, aerodinamic, just beautifull.  The differece Ive noticed from rod A is, that my loops have less waves in them, the new thechnology in a tip in Bplus is just amazing. The tip just bounce back and stop, sending super fast loop over the horizon. I hope you know what I mean. No bouncing rod tip= extra line speed.
  The new rod Bplus is also more forgiving than the rod A, sometimes I made a mistake in my stroke ( too wide arc, or to narrow arc), but the Bplus forgives that and send perfect loop.
Wow- what an improvment, and it took only 6months.

Distance- with rodA yes I hit 80feet, but I had to add some effort, now with Bplus, 90 feet seems like a breeze, and what the improoved Bplus also gives you is the fatigue less chucking GT flies on a 6/0 hooks.

Lets talk about accuracy, and this is where Im most impress with the new Bplus fly rod.
  I did my test on the 60feet target. WOW- again guys. Almost pinpoit accuracy, with awsome loops, and zero effort. The way I compare this with my second favorite rod A is that with rod A my fly sometimes kick about foot away to the right or to the left from a target, and you what happen- you loose the chance of hookup. Bplus just deliver the fly where I want it.

Thumbs up and I hope you liked my review of a new and imprived rod A, with new awsome name Bplus.

Dont worry if you dont have a chance for a practice cast at your local flyshop. I cast so many different rods, and cought so many different fish,  that you can trust me as I put all my money on it.
  And at the price of $1200 its a really good deal for a perfect fly rod.
  Tight lines"

Cheers
Mike
I just saw the new helios 4 video and literally this is the exact same script it was very funny reading this after seeing the video LOL, yo need to add to the script that it boosted your catch rate by at least 80% because the marketing department people love percentages :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: and they even said the rod can track even better with 4x more accuracy, maybe in the future I won't even need to cast it because it will do it alone while I stay seated on the riverbank lol
I’ve also seen the claim of 4x more accurate. The fool believing in that claim deserves to loose 4x more money.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m pretty sure the way it works is by marketing surveys. Find out the pain (not accurate enough casting) and offer the solution (more accurate rod). Total BS of course.

So the marketing really tells you what their customers’ pain is. Instead of recommending training their casting they get given snake oil.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

😂😂😂 that is funny. I wrote this 7 years ago
Taylor8

Post by Taylor8 »

It’s always the archer, not the arrow that determines accuracy of course. Orvis marketing machine aside, I am interested in what appears to be their focus on tip dampening. I’ve never cast an H3 let alone the latest Helios version so I have no idea if there’s any truth to it. But I do know what stuck out to me most when first casting Hot Torpedo’s was the “quiet” rod leg of the loop - little to no oscillation and best I’ve ever seen.

Seems like a lot of rods started going to stiff butt/mid sections and soft tips, resulting in lots of oscillation in the loop. Maybe all the manufacturers were trying to win George Anderson’s rod shootouts on his Yellowstone angler website where he always advocated for that type of rod. Hopefully that trend is starting to change.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Actually I don’t mind if it doesn’t :D

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Speaking of stiff rods with soft tips...

I cast a new Hardy rod at the recent show. It was the most dramatic combination of those parameters that I have ever cast.

Hardy seems to be targeting salt water. Their top salt sales rep, Andy Mill, gave a demo and hung around at the booth. He is famous for tarpon and supposedly had a lot of input on their tarpon rods. I passed on casting their heavier rods as I did not bring my own reel with a heavy line. All of their big rods were matched to huge reels, giant lines... and a fluff. :upside:

The rod I cast (with my reel and line) was an 8. I did not realize it was one piece until I spoke with the rep after casting it. When I asked him about the taper, he said the rod was specifically designed for fishing big redfish. When I dug further about the ridiculously soft tip it became clear that the rep never cast the rod. So I gave up.

The bottom 80% of that blank was a club, the tip was the wiggliest I have ever experienced. I have no idea what their goal for that rod is.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Wow, I watched the 16min video- literally the rod is alive and does all the work. All needs to be done is the first cast, and then pure joy.

Fuck me, when Helios 5 comes out, I'll prepare myself a bottle of lubricant and a box of tissues 😂😂😂
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

The first rod with AI built into the blank …
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think there is a misunderstanding about “lifting power”. A longer lever works against us, at least with a single handed rod.

I’m not allowed to cast the Helios. I think I’ve broken six of them. The first one I put my thumb through when making a snap lift switch. The second lasted me about 45 minutes, with the instructions to “try to break it’. All the others have popped in three or four casts.

Maybe I’ve just been unlucky but if anyone wants me to test theirs to see, then I’m happy to have a go :???:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Manshit”