PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

casting 7wt. for spey work MCI

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I guess by clunky, you guys are talking about the hinge effect one gets when too far into overhang right?

It's a masters test, one would expect a certain level of abilty as well as knowledge of lines from a succesful candidate. In the overhead, longest distance to show really nice casts is 65 feet for the double haul task. Take away the hauling distance and the rodlength and you have your needed headlength. Almost all the other overhead has a 50 foot requirement. 85 feet distance is a breeze with almost all lines so doesn't count here.

The biggest issue with the spey tasks is shooting with fat line laying in still water, the less one have to shoot the better. Good argument to learn moving longer lines around on water ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Subtropicalspey

Post by Subtropicalspey »

Thanks to that hint from Lasse I figured out a way to cast 65 feet on a single hand single spey using the Pro Performance fly line (58 foot head). In order to aerialize more line into the D loop I started the cast with a sweep of the rod tip in towards shore. The whole path of the rod tip during the entire sweep is that of a figure 8 lying on its side (or infinity sign). Less fat fly line was lying on the water waiting to be shot.
Gmstuart1

Post by Gmstuart1 »

I used an Axiom 7 for my CI, but I've been wondering if I need to change up my equipment as well. I've already been using the BVK 7. Brian and I have talked about this a good bit. I'm even considering a 6 WT or 7 WT Meridian. The rod may be less important, but the lines do help. Lasse makes a good point about that thick belly laying in the water for spey casts (I'm already not great at spey). I personally don't think it needs to be on an MCI exam when we have a THCI designation already. Many disagree when it comes to spey casting with a single hand rod. If you think spey is such a big deal, then maybe we should have to pass the THCI before the MCI.....or maybe you get Single Hand Master and TH Master. Anyway, that's off topic. Any of you guys have rod recommendations for the MCI test? Let's say "What would you use?" instead maybe.....to avoid the equipment isn't necessary thing.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Greg

What line are you thinking of using? Can't help you with the rod stuff, I don't think it matters, and I'm one of those who will be asked to show the casts with the candidates gear, so theres that... Out of curiosity, what rod do you think would NOT be suited for a MCI exam?
And what kind of rod would you suggest a CI candidate to use and why?

And I'm also one of those who have been lobbying for having spey casts in the MCI exam, preferably, I'd want them in already at CI level since they are very valuable fishing casts. I don't buy the THCI has it argument either, thats a twohanded exam, the others are single handed. The cast's dont care how many hands you have on the rod. And yeah, having abother level for the twohanded would probably be a good idea.

Cheers
Lasse

Gmstuart1

Post by Gmstuart1 »

Hi Lasse,

I've been using the SA Expert Distance line forever, but Brian has been liking the Rio Single Handed Spey line.

I know it's hard to argue for a rod. Any should work, but certainly some rods are better than others. I wouldn't suggest someone use a fiberglass or very slow rod simply because it will be easier to get into trouble with it. If it happens to be windy would you walk out there with a 5 WT when you have a 7 in the car? I've even heard higher level guys state to the 'Use the biggest gun you can' thing.

I'm curious what you think about single handed spey. I've had some well known guides tell me it's completely useless and the Rio single handed spey line "Solves a problem that doesn't exist". I don't agree with them, but I didn't have the best answers for them either....change direction?, keep your fly in the water more?, It's fun? The other obvious reasons for any type of roll cast? The argument from the guide was that if you want to spey cast get a spey rod.

In the Southeastern US Spey casting is used very little. The closest THCI to me is Leslie Holmes and he's 9 hours away by car! I'm just saying that because it's hard to get good instruction on it around here.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Greg

I'll let my wife answer the spey thing:
https://youtu.be/DgbNR_ZIeBQ
Not really a place for a twohander, and I pity those only capable of overhead, then again, it leaves plenty of untouched fish in those kind of rivers..

If I predominantly fished a slow fibreglass rod (they come in fast too you know ;)) I would feel confident using it in a test too. I used a 5, and it was windy. If I had had a 7 I would probably not have used it, as the 5 was the one I had used almoat every day for several years...

And I know about hard to get good instruction, had to drive through two countries to get a lesson from Paul :D
And then it wasn't that good :p

Cheers
Lasse

Gmstuart1

Post by Gmstuart1 »

Haha! Wasn’t that good lol. I don’t even call my Epic “Fastglass” rod “Fast”. I’m still curious what rod you used regardless. If it’s Sahjay don’t tell me lol. (Sage). Rex Gudgel lives near Leslie and I’ve had a few lessons from him actually. So, I have gone a good distance for instruction!
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Gmstuart1 wrote:I'm curious what you think about single handed spey. I've had some well known guides tell me it's completely useless and the Rio single handed spey line "Solves a problem that doesn't exist". I don't agree with them, but I didn't have the best answers for them either....change direction?, keep your fly in the water more?, It's fun? The other obvious reasons for any type of roll cast? The argument from the guide was that if you want to spey cast get a spey rod.
I had a discussion with Morsie when he was fishing on our boat in Exmouth last year. He asked me what I thought of the new SH Spey requirements in the upcoming MCI exam. At the time I thought there were probably better things they could be testing if they were changing the MCI test. I was naive .... (I still am! :D)

I'm studying to do that exam now so I'm spending quite a bit of time performing the SH spey casts. They were foreign to me, being a predominantly SW fly guy. I have little need for most "freshwater" techniques (e.g. most mends, curve casts, slack line presentations, etc) and I had never even tried the SH Spey stuff until they were included in the exam.

They have transformed the way I fish. Far from being a set of esoteric casts used only in certain circumstances, I am finding times to use some of them on nearly every journey to the salt. They are very efficient change of direction casts, so if I'm fishing a flat or a line of snags, I've now got the ability to rapidly present my fly to fish in almost any location with minimal (fish-spooking) false casts.

Of course, I must change the way I think about cast selection from the traditional frames of reference (e.g. "downstream wind, left bank" or "upstream wind, right bank") because that doesn't work on a windy flat with fish coming from any direction and no current, but doing so actually simplifies the cast selection process for me. (I think in terms of "upstring" or "downstring" winds, the string direction being where the fly line is before initiating the next cast.)

I somewhat agree with the guide, but not for the same reasons he cites. The SH Spey line from Rio isn't needed to make a spey cast. A standard DT line and many WF lines will work unless they are "front loaded", like those marketed as "loading modern rods quickly". The SH Spey line from Rio only solves a problem for people who don't want to invest time practicing with their current line.

I now think the SH Spey casts being included in the MCI exam is vital. I think some of them (e.g. the L & R snake rolls) should also be in the CCI exam because they are just so useful for most fishing we do.

BTW, If there's an argument against a 7wt rod being used in the exam, it's because the Hot Torpedo doesn't come in that line weight .... :D ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Graeme H wrote:
BTW, If there's an argument against a 7wt rod being used in the exam, it's because the Hot Torpedo doesn't come in that line weight .... :D ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
This just leads to the question, what is a 7 wt rod? :D

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Gmstuart1 wrote:Haha! Wasn’t that good lol. I don’t even call my Epic “Fastglass” rod “Fast”. I’m still curious what rod you used regardless. If it’s Sahjay don’t tell me lol. (Sage). Rex Gudgel lives near Leslie and I’ve had a few lessons from him actually. So, I have gone a good distance for instruction!
Ok, I won't tell you then :D

Return to “Flycasting”