PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

casting 7wt. for spey work MCI

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Post by Michal Duzynski »

I would love to go to the competition coach for a session. Till then Im booking a session with a spprt sicologist.
mike
Gmstuart1

Post by Gmstuart1 »

easterncaster wrote:
VGB wrote:Smacking the line down was probably misleading, I was referring to the lay down that I think Chris Korich described on here. I’ll use it on a windy day on a noisy section of river if needs be but not as a matter of course. I also usually aim a bit higher than a few inches for a fish as well, I don’t want a projectile arriving fast in his peripheral vision. For accuracy, I don’t go down the tape but angle in and get the range by the fly crossing the tape. Not sure that’s allowed for assessments.

Regards

Vince
The Lay-down in comp. accuracy is not a fishing lay down - at least not for what most see as a Dry Fly "feeding a rise" presentation. It is a purposeful scoring presentation. Years ago in ACA comp. a sunk fly was a demerit, and applying floatant to one's fly was not allowed. Each is allowed now.

Actually, the Lay-down is more like a small streamer presentation. IMO

Yeah, this task is more about watching your loops and seeing that you change trajectory.....less about hitting targets. The comp accuracy for a casting exam doesn't make sense to me either. It's basically a bad technique to get a fly in a circle regardless of how hard it lands or whether the fly line lands first.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

"It's basically a bad technique to get a fly in a circle regardless of how hard it lands or whether the fly line lands first."

Would you please explain to me why I would love to know why it is a bad technique to get the fly to/in a target?

John
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote:Hi Vince,

That's precisely the reason it needs to be nipped in the bud and tackle specified. It's a no brainer to specify a DT6. Or even sell the "IFF teaching line".

Standardisation is the key. After all that is the exam.

Cheers, Paul
These guys run me off a dayglo red #6DT as an add on to a production run:

http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=pr ... th=114_119

It’s good for examiners because it’s easy to see and it does all of the presentation,roll casts and DH stuff really well, very stable loops. I haven’t got to grips with the carry and shoot yet, I’m better with the long belly. I’m guessing that’s due to not being used to the extra weight and I’ll have to work at that, although any pointers would be appreciated.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

VGB wrote: These guys run me off a dayglo red #6DT as an add on to a production run:

http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=pr ... th=114_119
I am interested in such a DT6, but what does ”run me off ... as an add on to production run” mean? Special order? Future product?

(Asking since DT6 doesn’t seem to be available in their catalogue.)
VGB

Post by VGB »

They had an order going into the factory for their range of lines and I had been speaking to them about hi viz DT in heavier weights. They added it to their order, I don’t know how many they made up but it’s worth dropping them an email. They are doing a range of trade shows and may not have updated their database. I’ll ask Richard, to see what the situation is if you like?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

VGB wrote:They had an order going into the factory for their range of lines and I had been speaking to them about hi viz DT in heavier weights. They added it to their order, I don’t know how many they made up but it’s worth dropping them an email. They are doing a range of trade shows and may not have updated their database. I’ll ask Richard, to see what the situation is if you like?
I will send them an email now that I know the setup. Thanks!
VGB

Post by VGB »

No worries,he has a couple in stock but is in Dublin at the moment. He’ll pick up your email on Tuesday when you return

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Jarmo, the equipment list at the start of the CCI and MCI exams say the line used must be available to the general public. Lines like Vince's would not qualify.

But there are plenty of very cheap high vis DT6 lines around. I'm even looking into getting (and selling) a small batch of them with a tropical coating and 12' tapers each end. Maybe I can convince Paul to sell them on his wonderful web site. Will see ... ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Graeme, I believe that the lines will be made available if there is the demand. The reason I went this route was because there wasn't any readily available here.

regards

Vince

Return to “Flycasting”