PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

casting 7wt. for spey work MCI

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Graeme H wrote:Jarmo, the equipment list at the start of the CCI and MCI exams say the line used must be available to the general public. Lines like Vince's would not qualify.

But there are plenty of very cheap high vis DT6 lines around.
Ok. I was interested in a high visibility line, because I thought it would help both the examiners (to see it) and me (to take videos).

Probably a Cortland 444 peach will do just fine.
VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

The lines will be on public release today. I have no financial or business stake in this, it started as a chance remark during a discussion about lines on another forum and a long running discussion with TK. At that price, they are good value.

http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=pr ... uct_id=579

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Good value indeed. I've just tried to buy two of them but they aren't in stock yet. I'll try next week,

Thanks for the heads-up Vince.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

No worries Graeme, I think it was a short production run to see if there was a demand and they may have already sold those. I was fortunate and only had a lead time of 2 weeks from asking if it was possible to getting delivery.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

VGB

Post by VGB »

VGB wrote:
It’s good for examiners because it’s easy to see and it does all of the presentation,roll casts and DH stuff really well, very stable loops. I haven’t got to grips with the carry and shoot yet, I’m better with the long belly. I’m guessing that’s due to not being used to the extra weight and I’ll have to work at that, although any pointers would be appreciated.
After a week or so I’ve come to the conclusion that to get distance with a DT, you have to carry enough so that you are shooting the backing because you need an awful lot of line speed to pick up the fly line.

Vince

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

How's the coating on your DT Vince?

If you're going for max distance, then yes, a DT is best thrown as a shootinghead, if its the distance casts in the different exams, then it shouldn't have to!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree with Lasse. I used a DT4 for almost all of my fishing the past two months. Distance never a problem. So long as it's pretty slick it should be fine.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Lasse

The coating is fine,very similar to the GT125. With both lines, I had to clean and lube a couple of times before I felt happy with it. I can just about carry it to the CI and GAIC distance with a stiff crosswind breeze but it’s a bit harder work at that distance than other lines. I did have one cast fly that flew well and I think I was carrying a little longer, so there was less mass to pick up. If I try the same carry and shoot at the same points as the GT125 or the Opti, it dies quite quickly.

Paul, I would definitely fish it, it’s easy to change direction with and present the fly.

Regards

Vince

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I had to clean and lube a couple of times before I felt happy with it.
Yes they need a bit of work. Are they still PVC by the way? I tried a 125 a few days ago that sounded rough on the rings.

I suspect we will see a market flood of cheap lines in the coming years. The Chinese lines are quite fishable, only not as slick. But with the right silicone blend this doesn't seem to matter. I fished a Chinese DT4 for the past 2 months without issues. And they are around 1/4 of the USA wholesale price. It's interesting not least because all the Chinese fly fishers I've met import their gear and pay top dollar.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I don’t know what the coating is Paul but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are coming from the same factory. I have a 125 that’s about 5 years old that is still going strong but I do clean my lines regularly. I had a Greys platinum that the core dissolved after 7 years but the rest have died from mishandling, I’ve never had a coating failure.

Regards

Vince

Return to “Flycasting”