Create rotation without using wrist

Moderator: Paul Arden

Post Number:#1  Postby Lou Bruno » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:37 pm

Casting in a near vertical rod plane is it possible to create rotation without using the wrist?

Lou
Lou Bruno

Post Number:#2  Postby Jason Borger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Yes.

jborger-mocap-wristcast1.jpg
jborger-mocap-wristcast1.jpg (77.14 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
I grew up surrounded by Fish, Flies & Water.
Jason Borger

Post Number:#3  Postby Lou Bruno » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:06 pm

Jason
Buy bending at the waist (rocking) , locking wrist then lifting (rotating) elbow?
Lou
Lou Bruno

Post Number:#4  Postby Graeme H » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:25 pm

I'd also have to say yes. My longer backcast is mostly performed with the rod-butt tucked against my forearm. The wrist really only comes into play after I've made the stop and I let the rod get out of the way of the oncoming line.

Most of the rotation in that back cast comes from rotating the elbow in the axis of the humerus.

Cheers,
Graeme
IFFF CCI
Graeme H

Post Number:#5  Postby Lou Bruno » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:32 pm

Graeme
I can see what you describe. I do the same...Suttle ways we create rotation besides using our wrist.
Thanks
Lou
Lou Bruno

Post Number:#6  Postby Paul Arden » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:32 am

Yes but it’s difficult to delay rotation without using the wrist and you need to change how you grip the rod (cradle/finger grip).

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration... Bring Flyrods
Flycasting Definitions
Sexyloops Shop
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post Number:#7  Postby Jason Borger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Lou Bruno wrote:Jason
Buy bending at the waist (rocking) , locking wrist then lifting (rotating) elbow?
Lou

Not really adding more body movement, compensating instead with arm movement (esp. into last half or so of stroke) and to a very limited degree, some finger movement (you can see the grip I was using in that shot). Don't know technically if my finger movement was timed well enough to really matter, but at least I tried. Finger motion-capture next time! :p

Of course, in order to get from A to B with my casting stroke, the rod has to rotate (turn over). It's the degree of rotation normally added via wrist that has to be tweaked with alternate compensation.

I found that shorter range casting actually required more focus to replace the lost wrist movement. Not all that surprising, but it was interesting to feel it in action. By using the fiberglass cast, the distraction of trying to lock my wrist manually was removed, which allowed other sensations to be perhaps more obvious (again, hardly a technical analysis, but seat-of-the-pants feedback is still useful).

And if anyone is wondering, no, I did not break (as in "ouch!") my wrist. Just a cast set up to remove the wrist from the equation. Set up time was long enough that I could mold it a bit with my favored grip and get the rod into a good spot.
Jason Borger

Post Number:#8  Postby James9118 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:32 am

Jason Borger wrote:And if anyone is wondering, no, I did not break (as in "ouch!") my wrist. Just a cast set up to remove the wrist from the equation. Set up time was long enough that I could mold it a bit with my favored grip and get the rod into a good spot.

I'm voting you president of the casting geeks :yeahhh: :pirate:
James9118

Post Number:#9  Postby Jason Borger » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:45 pm

FWIW, the motion-capture session that photo was from helped to produce this little document:

http://flycastinginstitute.com/researchfiles/okeefe_isb2005.pdf
Jason Borger

Post Number:#10  Postby Graeme H » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:20 am

Jason Borger wrote:FWIW, the motion-capture session that photo was from helped to produce this little document:

http://flycastinginstitute.com/researchfiles/okeefe_isb2005.pdf

That's interesting Jason. I see one of their findings was:

"Those who fished 10 days/year or less were more likely to have a wrist velocity much higher than shoulder or elbow velocities and those who were more experienced (i.e. fishing guides) had a much higher shoulder velocity."

Cheers,
Graeme
IFFF CCI
Graeme H

Next

Return to Flycasting