PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Sexyloops Theoretical Contra 5E S***

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Yes of course you can change tip path by lowering or raising the hand. I knew you had another model!!! :) So what is it?
I was going to call it reality but I don’t think it will catch on
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok I can agree with that. Took a week. Why didn’t you just say that in the first place? :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

VGB wrote:
Paul Arden wrote:Of course it matters Vince, the closer the tip is at MCL to the SLP made between the rod tip at the beginning of the Casting Stroke to the rod tip at RSP1 the tighter the top leg. If the tip is below this point the loop tails (one cause). If it is higher the top leg is more domed.

Following that theory Paul, translational stroke will give you a better SLP because you bend the rod less but you will be limited in the amount of carry you can manage. However, we don’t cast like the stick man drawings, our hands move up and down as well as translating and rotating. This range of movement allows us to keep the SLP over a range of bendforms. If you are tailing, it’s because you are hitting it too hard and the tip up and down movement is too quick for you to compensate for.

Regards

Vince
What, like this ^^^
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s fine but I thought we were discussing the 5 Essentials not “reality”. I pointed out right from the beginning and many times since that the 5Es are not to be applied literally but are about understanding various concepts. The fact that true SLP or even close to SLP piles the line into the rod tip should be enough to realise that.

Of course it’s not reality but a tool, or a filter, that we apply to casts in order to teach certain concepts mostly to instructors but also sometimes to advanced students.

Start applying them literally to the cast and you have a problem. Bill will tell you that because he’s written the very same on this Board in the past.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote:That’s fine but I thought we were discussing the 5 Essentials not “reality “
I think you need to start here:

http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/vie ... 926#p43926

bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Nice to see the original question again.
I would like to know why Lasse answered

1. Yes
2. Only if the first cast tailed

The first one can only be yes if you assume that the time it took the tip to travel that path was the same, right?
How can you tell from the given information?

Cheers, Bart
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

O wait. Is the “all other things equal” also the time?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I actually think that the answer to 1 is no if the rod is rotated throughout the stroke evenly and not dragged and then rotated for the second half of rotation right at the end, in which case I think it is yes.

And the reverse answer when it comes to tails.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Gents,

Don't leave the forum Stoats. I have always enjoyed reading your well considered and supported thoughts and the language that you use in their definition and justification. When I first joined this site many footy seasons ago, you helped me with some PMs that were above and beyond. You are a gentleman and I always learn from what you have to say. I agree with you but that is not important. What is important to blokes like me is that you continue to speak your mind here.

Best wishes,

John
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Well said John.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com

Return to “Flycasting”