PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Cormorants

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Cormorants

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bernd, have signed the petition.

https://www.openpetition.de/petition/on ... -bestaende

I think it's one of the great failings of the EU that they have allowed this problem to go on for so long. In the US they don't have this problem and are much more sensible about it. Here in Hungary and Croatia a few people take things into their own hands, but there is no way they can make a dent on the plague that exists here.

The river where I live has been seriously affected and the local canal in Croatia regularly gets wiped out. What sort of closed mind conservation practise is it to protect one species at the expense of another?

In the UK the fine for shooting cormorants is 5,000 GBP and possibly six months in the clink.
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/st ... 234731.pdf
The report says it's unreasonable to shoot the 60,000 cormorants/year in Europe necessary to control the population, which does sound like rather a lot, until you learn that there is an estimated 36 million pheasants shot each year in the UK alone! OK more than that are released :p but I couldn't find an estimate for the number of European ducks shot/year.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

Cormorants

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Paul,
the Danish people on Fyn island have spent millions of Euros in renaturing their streams in order to make it possible for Sea trout to enter the spawning places in the upper parts of the streams again. Now the cormorants may destroy all the results of all the work that has been done. Seems rediculous to me... Still the EU does not want to see the whole problem.
I have no doubt that in one day a lot of cormorants will be shot again. I hope that day will not take place AFTER almost all fish are gone out of small streams.
Anyway anglers should more unite and work together on this topic!
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
luke.wizz

Cormorants

Post by luke.wizz »

Hey guys

It seems that cormorats are also a problem in the southern hemisphere. In Tasmania I have been reading that alot of rivers and lakes have been affected by the plague of cormorants.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Cormorants

Post by Paul Arden »

They've been culled since medieval times, but not for the last forty years. If they were affecting other bird species - which they must - then it would be easier to get the ban lifted. The problem is that the government can't even link
cormorants to fish population reductions/wiping out.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Cormorants

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

The problem is:

A dead bird can easily be SEEN.

A dead fish is just happening UNDER water and no one easily will ever see that happen!

That makes it more easy for those wanting to protect the bird about 100% (no matter what) compared to us.
I think we need to visualize the damage much better as we did in the past!?
Unregistered

Cormorants

Post by Unregistered »

No doubt about exploding cormorant population being a serious problem. The question is that if anglers don't commit themselves to C&R the result is that those fish not eaten by cormorants will be eaten by people.

They say that cormorants eat 0.5 kg of fish a day. Is there a calculation of how much weight of fish does each fisherman eat (or just kill and throw in the garbage bin?).
That figure multiplied by the number of fishermen will give an idea of the proportional effect of each species in the conservation of fish populations. :whistle:
Mac78

Cormorants

Post by Mac78 »

Have a look at the following : http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Uploads/Docu ... orants.pdf
This was some work I was involved in some years ago on Loch Leven in Scotland. In part, the population explosion on the Loch was down to the stocking regime which was encouraging more birds to the Loch to feed. What the study did show was the dominance of trout in the Cormorants diet, despite other fish species being present and the potential impact of these birds to a fishery. What I find ironic, was at the time we were studying these Cormorants, under a scientific licence, SNH/RSPB were paying a bounty to the Loch Leven fishery managers to shoot crows to protect the nesting wildfowl and song birds! All this was going on whilst the fishery managers despite years of attempted applications were continually denied a licence to shoot cormorants for the protection of the fishery!!
I'll see if I can find the full report from Loch Leven as it's well worth a read. Needless to say no action was taken despite a wealth of evidence showing the potential impact to a fishery by cormorants. Thankfully the fishery gave up stocking snack sized trout which was nor economically sound nor of benefit to the fishery. Thankfully Loch Leven has since made a recovery to a viable fishery again.

With the recent harsh winters in Scotland we have seen a marked increase in Cormorants feeding inland, as conditions at sea are obviously less than attractive for piscivorous birds. Rightfully or wrongfully they have been attributed to a massive slump in Grayling numbers locally, both on the Earn and Tay systems. I've seen this at first hand with dozens of cormorants working a small section of the River Earn at low water level conditions. As Grayling and spawning salmonids are the only active fish at this time of year then it stands to reason what they are eating.

With an overwhelming amount of evidence in support of the potential damage these birds can cause and skewed population figures from the likes of the RSPB we will always unfortunately be at odds with such large bodies. What I find depressing is that wild fisheries that are managed sensibly and are of ecomonic, ecological and historical importance are allowed to go down the tubes. This is unfortunately just another sorry saga along the lines of Salmon Aquaculture on the West Coast of Scotland and Commercial Salmon netting on the East Coast of Scotland. :(
t.z.

Cormorants

Post by t.z. »

Bird protection is a money issue. So called nature preservatists (NABU in Germany for example) do live by funds they raise. A bird (or a snow leapoard) do make good foto models for advertising. Fish not so very much.

It is quite a lost war this one. Even though that the heavily funded salmon rehab program in the Rhine river is heavily affected did not set any (at least don\t know any) politicians into gear.

Get slingshots and shoot nests.
Bernd Ziesche

Cormorants

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Mac,
thanks for the info. Sounds terrible though :( .

Hi Thomas,
we anglers must unite and pay someone to force the united project. As long as too many of us are just taking part in a few conversations.... not too much will happen. A lot of people need to be behind the whole thing to wake up politivians.
For me there is no lost war, there is only a better management as it is now, which we should organize to strive for.
Greets
Bernd
Keystone

Cormorants

Post by Keystone »

Hi,
I was on holiday in Cordoba, Spain, at Christmas and there were cormorants everywhere. Standing on the restored Roman Bridge I counted 35 in the river in front of me and the fish they were catching were tiny, obviously had all the big ones, then another 30 or so flew over.
The Spanish have cleaned up this river greatly since I visited in 2006 but with this this kind of Cormorant predation the fish population has no chance.
Dave.

Return to “Daily Planet”