Stuff around the handle

Stuff around the handle

Post Number:#1  Postby bartdezwaan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:52 pm

I see quit some competition casters with the cork taped.
What kind of stuff is used for this and what is the advantage?

Cheers, Bart
bartdezwaan
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Stuff around the handle

Post Number:#2  Postby Michal Duzynski » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi Bart
It is tennis racket grip tape
( mostly) and it improves your grip.
Helps with sweaty hands on the cork when emotions take over.
Im using 2mm one...

Mike
Michal Duzynski
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:14 pm
Location: Brisbane-Australia

Stuff around the handle

Post Number:#3  Postby Paul Arden » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:15 pm

The Swedes are using vulcanising plumbing tape. It’s for grip. Stefan covered my HT10. I haven’t decided if I prefer it or not but it’s still there. :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration... Bring Flyrods
Flycasting Definitions
Sexyloops Shop
User avatar
Paul Arden
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11251
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 am
Location: Travelling

Stuff around the handle

Post Number:#4  Postby Lasse Karlsson » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:37 pm

I use squash racket tape, beats cork all and any day, it's on my fishing rods too, swapped over in '10 after a fishing trip with Ulrik and Stefan where I borrowed Stefans rod with it on. Gets worn down after a while, then it's a 30 second job changing it :blush:

You can get shrinkwrap too...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***
User avatar
Lasse Karlsson
 
Posts: 3378
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:40 pm
Location: There, and back again

Stuff around the handle

Post Number:#5  Postby Boisker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:22 pm

Lasse Karlsson wrote:I use squash racket tape, beats cork all and any day, it's on my fishing rods too...


Sacrilege... You’re going straight to hell... :D :D :D :D
You’ll be pro-plastic cork and screw top wine bottles next :D :D
Boisker
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Stuff around the handle

Post Number:#6  Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:57 pm

Boisker wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote:I use squash racket tape, beats cork all and any day, it's on my fishing rods too...


Sacrilege... You’re going straight to hell... :D :D :D :D
You’ll be pro-plastic cork and screw top wine bottles next :D :D


I use racket tape as well for all of my rods except the for the soft ones for stream work. I love the look and feel of high quality cork but it is not a good material for handles on flyrods. Its far too slippery. With racket tape on the handle you can relax the muscles in your hand more and still have good control over the rod. Its good for casting and fishing!

If I were manufacturing rods I would try hard to find a material that (1) offered a better grip than cork (more friction) and (2) were pleasing to the eye. That would be a real advancement in the design of flyrods! I really dont like to wrap ugly racket tape on the handle of a beautiful flyrod but I do it anyway...

Loop had an alternative to cork a couple of years ago called x-grip. The grip was much better than cork but it was heavy and not very classy looking.

Roddesigners of the world, get to work!

Cheers

Thomas
Thomas
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:24 am

Stuff around the handle

Post Number:#7  Postby Boisker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:27 pm

Reddington had a different handle on some rods as well... I seem to remember you could get them with a red handle. I never fished with one, but spent some time casting with one and it was comfortable enough but not an earth shattering improvement for me.

I can see tape wrapping would be an advantage for distance casting, hot sweaty salt flats etc... rarely an issue for me in the U.K, I rarely cast more than 40’ fishing and it’s even more rare that it’s hot and sweaty :D
Boisker
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Stuff around the handle

Post Number:#8  Postby crunch » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:29 pm

I assume if cork gets wet it stay moist longer under tape? Have you noticed any "rotting" symptoms?

Perhaps glass or carbon fiber coated foam handles could make comeback with tape?

Esa
crunch
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:58 am
Location: Kerava, Finland

Stuff around the handle

Post Number:#9  Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:35 pm

Boisker wrote:Reddington had a different handle on some rods as well... I seem to remember you could get them with a red handle. I never fished with one, but spent some time casting with one and it was comfortable enough but not an earth shattering improvement for me.

I can see tape wrapping would be an advantage for distance casting, hot sweaty salt flats etc... rarely an issue for me in the U.K, I rarely cast more than 40’ fishing and it’s even more rare that it’s hot and sweaty :D


:laugh: I live in Sweden so I know what you are talking about! Its not exactly hot and sweaty here neither!

But I do prefer racket tape on heavy rods and on lighter rods that still will be used in heavy winds - like say a fast 6-weight. Racket tape helps in situations were heavy winds are pulling and pushing on your rod when casting. Try it!

Cheers

Thomas
Thomas
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:24 am

Stuff around the handle

Post Number:#10  Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:36 pm

crunch wrote:I assume if cork gets wet it stay moist longer under tape? Have you noticed any "rotting" symptoms?

Perhaps glass or carbon fiber coated foam handles could make comeback with tape?

Esa


Hi Esa,

I have thought about that as well but have not yet noticed any "rotting".

Cheers

Thomas
Thomas
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:24 am

Next

Return to Casting Sport

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests