PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

1/2WT heavier lines

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Walter
Answers: 0

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Walter »

Is it safe to use the M word when you aren’t in the technical forum?
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Lasse Karlsson

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hang on, I light have an I word too.... :p
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Walter

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Walter »

I’m afraid to use it because a giant finger might roll me out to the curb.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Lasse Karlsson

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Old skateboarder, curbs are good for a grind or a slide (nose/tail/board/dark) so I'm good :cool:

Walter

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Walter »

Once I get rolling I’m not likely to stop.

Lasse Karlsson

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Ground, meet Walter, Walter meet ground......

:p

Walter

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Walter »

I’m 10% heavier than my rating too.

At least that’s what my doctor says. He didn’t use a scale but when I asked him if he was sure he said he’s seen enough fat people to tell just by looking.

Walter

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Walter »

I think one of the things that annoys me about, “I can tell within 10% what the line weight is.”, statements is the FFI attitude about using a line with markings on It for their exams. Any marking, including marks at the the tip of the line that would be used to designate the line weight, is forbidden. The theory is that somehow I will use that mark at the tip of my line to judge the distance to the targets in the accuracy task. So far nobody has been able to explain to me how a mark in the first coulple of feet in my fly line is going to help me hit targets at 20, 30, or 45 feet. I prefer to use the fly for that. When I’ve asked about using lines with a line weight marker I’m told that if I was really good I could tell the line weight by casting it. Tell that to Lefty Kreh and Gary Borger who both recommend marking your lines. When I point that out I’m told I can mark the line at near the backing end where it won’t be visible during the exam. What a great idea. Every time I want to check a line weight I only need to peel off 100+ feet of line to see the marker. Please don’t recommend paper labels. Those last about a week or two.

Why does this annoy me? Because I teach beginner classes and have equipment available for about twenty students and trying to keep track of all of my lines without markers is a big pain. I also have a number of lines for practice. These are not all the same weight and I may choose to upline or downline depending on conditions.

I also think it would be great if I could mark a practice line every 10 feet so I don’t need to carry a tape.

Anybody got any constructive comments about keeping track of lines without marking them or using paper labels?

Will

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Will »

That’s interesting Walter. Do they allow you to use lines with different coloured heads vs running line? That’s effectively a marked line IMO.

(I mark nearly all my lines at the tip for weight, and lots are marked at 30ft, and various other distances, both for teaching and fishing).
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Lasse Karlsson

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I'm with you on that Walter!

Luckily, you're not going to use those 20 lines for a test, so mark the hell out of them :D

I do hope the non marking lines bs disappears, as well as the having to mark a line in the MCI, and thereby making it illegal to use should one fail the test, and go for it again.. I do use a waterproof marker, that can be taken of again, but it shouldn't be nessecary, we require a marked line in the THCI.....

Is lazer marked lines illegal? Didnt get a memo....

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting”