PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

SLP Bashing

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

SLP Bashing

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m sure that you can hit the rod tip with the flyline! Just approaching straight can do this.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

SLP Bashing

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Lasse,
I too did a lot of hand casting. And yes, I agree moving the line holding hand along an almost slp is easier as is it for the rod tip of a 9 footer flexible stick. But It also is very much harder to get the unrolled line straight behind the hand. Slomos showed me my hand path was hardly ever totally straight (we filmed this 3d) and the line wasn't anywhere straight due to too little speed. If you watch the broomstick vid on Aitor's vimeo account, you can see a too tight loop collapsing. Also you have seen all these pics presenting crossed loops in which the fly leg crosses the rod ( but just not being in one plane...). Need any further proof that the line does run in the rod, if all is straight? Cheers Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Lasse Karlsson

SLP Bashing

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I'd like to see it in real life, theories are fun, but practice beats theory... ;)

Broomstick loop without enough speed, just like your hand casting, doesn't tell the whole story does it?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

SLP Bashing

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:I’m sure that you can hit the rod tip with the flyline! Just approaching straight can do this.

Cheers, Paul

I'm sure I can hit the rod tip with a doomed and wavy tippath even better :D

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

SLP Bashing

Post by Paul Arden »

I remember seeing some excellent (and real) tip path drawings in Jason’s books. They are exactly as Bernd describes. The straighter the tip path the tighter the loop - yes. But only to a point. As you approach SLP the line will collide with the rod. I think we all know that, so I’m not sure why you disagree :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

SLP Bashing

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

You say that just getting close to a straight line path of the rod tip, will cause the line to collide, and the closest thing you offer as proof is drawings and a rigged experiement. My disagreement is with dogma that has no proof, but relies on my faith in what you say.

Have you seen this little clip from Aitor?

https://vimeo.com/36248999

Yes I know its not a straight tippath, but its quite close, and if you watch the point of deviation, not alot of the line would have piled into the tip, not sure any actually, and I'm more keen to try that out, than rigging a experiement with hardly any real world application.

Just turning stones, looking for bugs...

The anchor loads the rod, that then flings the line of right? ;)

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

SLP Bashing

Post by Paul Arden »

Well firstly it’s not stranight and secondly Aitor has put gravity to 90 degrees :D

Either of those will work when casting, you either must tilt the casting plane away from the vertical or dome the tip path to allow the line to clear.

I’ll shoot some videos of clipping the rod tip so you can see what it looks like.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

SLP Bashing

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

So if we cast vertical (never seen but hey, there's always a first) it will clip the rod tip? I thought it would pile up into the rod, now its only clipping it?

I agree, Aitor has put gravity out of the equations, but so did you in your experiements...

Most who clip their rod tip, me included, clip it with something else than the line just behind it, and its false to claim that we clip it because we have approached a straight line rod tip path too much.... Or is that ok?

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

SLP Bashing

Post by Paul Arden »

You can see vertical rod planes in accuracy. There is a curved tip path here, http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/sexyl ... ops2.shtml look at how close the loop comes through at the lowest point. If the tip path was perfectly straight with no deviation then of course the line with pile into it right at the outset. However in real casting the tip domes away from the line and then goes into counterflex and restraightens. A completely SLP is virtually impossible in real world casting.

There are two ways to avoid collision. One is to curve the tip path in the vertical plane. You will need the greatest dome here because gravity will be pulling the fly leg down. The other is to curve in the horizontal plane, this only has to be a slight curve and you get your closed loop shapes. (I think that the IFF are calling this “underslung” or is it “trailing”?). You only have to curve slightly in this plane. However in both cases a non SLP is absolutely necessary for loop formation.

I don’t think students need know this. Teaching SLP is usually quite adequate. CI questionable. MCI absolutely. And there is some work to be done there!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

SLP Bashing

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Have you seen this little clip from Aitor?

https://vimeo.com/36248999
Hi Lasse,
when I position my cursor in that point of rod tip path, where it starts to leave SLP the line (bead chain) following hits that point. I guess that's why Aitor did pull the tip out of the lines direction/path.

All pictures of crossed loops show you some part of line moving lower than the tip's position. Put all in one plane and you have a collision, even in Denmark ;) .
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Return to “Teaching”