Correcting tailing loops

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Correcting tailing loops

Post Number:#1  Postby Mangrove Cuckoo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:31 pm

It is “tarpon tune-up time” again. And so, I have a string of private lessons lined up with repeat students that I see only once or twice a year – usually right before they go on their spring tarpon trip.

Commonly, they have not touched their rods for months, and quite possibly not since last spring. Also commonly, they have the same main issue: tailing loops.

All these folks enjoy the same lifestyle of having the absolute finest, or at least most expensive, latest and greatest equipment. Usually 12 wt rods, massive reels, and tropical saltwater lines. (And, they all think they have to cast around 75’ while most tarpon are closer, but that is another issue)

How would y’all go about taming their tailing loops?

Last year I tried videoing and was disappointed when it did not seem to be very effective. I could see their misapplication of power, but usually, they could not.
“Very simple man. Catching fish makes me happy. Scaringly simple.”

Håvard Stubø
Mangrove Cuckoo

Correcting tailing loops

Post Number:#2  Postby Lou Bruno » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Good question...my approach would be to identify the cause, Bruce Richards 6-step method, then focus on the fix.

Not capable of using certain equipment is a different issue, not saying the equipment your friends use could be. Thats where your personnel experience, and training helps to assist them in perhaps scaling down or use equipment they can handle.

Lou
Lou Bruno

Correcting tailing loops

Post Number:#3  Postby Lasse Karlsson » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:54 pm

Longer smoother stroke.

Tailing loops are a acceleration problem.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***
Lasse Karlsson

Correcting tailing loops

Post Number:#4  Postby Paul Arden » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi Gary,

I’d get them to throw big open round loops, paying particular attention with forming the forward loop by turning the thumb over. Then I’d get them to use translation with big open round loops - emphasing the translation and the roundedness of the loops. And then I’d get them to tighten up.

If that doesn’t work I’d then look at the transition between back and forward casts. Laying the line on the floor, dragging and turning the thumb over at the end of the stroke to throw a big rounded loop. I’d get them to repeat this so they can identify the transition as the problem.

It may not completely solve the problem but it’s a godd starting position. I’d also - probably - make heavy use of the “Triangle Method” as an alternative drill and accuracy targets, straightness and so on.

In dealing with many issues like this I often aim for a polar position and then find the middle ground. I often think it’s easier to build a new stroke than tweak an existing one. That’s what works for me anyway.

What do you try?

Cheers, Paul

Edit: I might also drop the line weight. Practising with a 12 in a lesson is hard work.
It's an exploration... Bring Flyrods
Flycasting Definitions
Sexyloops Shop
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Return to Teaching