PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Gary's FP Tails you lose

Moderator: Paul Arden

Bernd Ziesche

Gary's FP Tails you lose

Post by Bernd Ziesche » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 pm

It began with trying to dampen a strong backcast, since a fast line is needed when the backcast is low to the water – a trajectory necessary to get back under low branches. I concentrated on delaying, somewhat, the return feed of my haul until the loop was about to turn over. If you look for it, the line will ask when it wants this feed. My thought was that I would reduce any kick by doing this. It seemed to work. Then, if I waited until I felt the rod acknowledge the weight of the extended line before I began my deliver stroke I began to throw nice straight fly legs time after time. No dangle, no waves, just a nice straight fly leg.
Hi Gary,
Since a tailing is a wave in the fly-leg and the fly-leg is formed pre RSP1, I don't yet see how delaying the return feed of the haul would help to eliminate any previous cause for a tailing. I take it, you were referring about the return feed done by the hauling hand and the hauling hand only, right?
I agree, that such a delayed return feed might help to increase line tension during counterflex and thus reduce the kick then to be seen in the rod-leg.
Having played a lot with when and how exactly return feeding the line hand I also agree it can help the final turn over - especially for long carries.
When not delaying the return feed you still have tailing issues? Maybe it did unintentional help you to smoothen out your line hand pull?
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Geenomad

Gary's FP Tails you lose

Post by Geenomad » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:57 am

Always hard to say without seeing but a few things come to mind. One is the travel of a (transverse) wave which Bernd has indirectly touched on. The amount of counterflex will affect the size of any wave it creates. Also waves travel faster as the tension in the medium increases. So the release may affect the speed of the wave travel. If there is a tail line tension will affect its propagation.

The second is the effect that line tension has on loop propagation. Similarly, more tension means greater propagation. Withholding haul release might be promoting turnover, though at the expense of travel if you are shooting line.

The third is much more qualitative and somewhat musical. I find that I am smoother when the rhythm of the back and forward casts is better matched and thus the overall tempo of the movements is more even. It's trickier for me to keep to the beat when the haul is executed at a very different tempo to the stroke(s) especially when its tempo is much faster than the stroke. So when absolute distance is not the issue I tend to like the tempo of hauls and strokes to fit together and will vary haul speed, length and release accordingly. Of course, staying smoother reduces the risk of a tail.

Same thing used to apply in my golf swing. Faster back swing promoted the chance of a snatchier forward swing.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Gary's FP Tails you lose

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:17 pm

I usually slip a little line to cushion the boing. In fact learning not to do this upped my 5WT distance game. I’ve written before that trying to capture the boing has always lead to tails for me. So I agree with Gary :D

I bet that most of you also slip line at LSP. I did for years without realising it.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”