PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Falling in

Moderator: Paul Arden

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Falling in

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:03 pm I don’t think you can blame me for your diving into a paddle boat! :whistle:
:D you threw me into the bloody thing, barstool :p
The bruise is from the ropes holding the dock in place though, and thats from the swim ;)
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Congrats Bernd. Well done.

I think people over a certain age and with lower fitness level should not wade without a life vest. I purchased self inflating vests for my clients. They do not hinder very much, but make a big difference in such situations. I have people around 75 as guests too. However, slipping and falling can happen to everyone. Specifically on boats this often goes along with knocking oneself out. Then a life-vest is absolutely essential.

https://www.skalestrommen.no/news-adver ... ife-vests/
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

In those situations I'd recommend a self-inflating vest, TZ. In the ensuing panic of falling into cold river remembering to pull the ripcord might be difficult.
The bruise is from the ropes holding the dock in place though, and thats from the swim
Instant karma for the five of you, or however many it took, to throw me in! :p

Cheers, Paul

PS one of my favourite PoDs
http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/trans ... on33.shtml

It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:57 pm
The bruise is from the ropes holding the dock in place though, and thats from the swim
Instant karma for the five of you, or however many it took, to throw me in! :p

Cheers, Paul

PS one of my favourite PoDs
http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/trans ... on33.shtml

Throwing you in only took Bernt :D

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yeah it was like being attacked by a bear :p

So you've taken your lifeguard certificate? That's awesome. I really hope to do that this summer. I'm also interested in the SRT courses.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

That was impressieve for sure!

And no, I haven't got the certificate, wasn't old enough at the time, but had a go at the diving for a dummy with clothes on, rescue swimming, cpr. etc.

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah it’s the Bronze Medallion! I’ve written to the life saving society of Malaysia to find out how, when and where I can take this.

I don’t know if I’ve told you this, I certainly wrote about it in the past, but around the age of 10 I was ‘saved’ while swimming of the beach in Jersey. It wasn’t Pamala Anderson unfortunately and I wasn’t actually drowning either but I was conserving my energy and not getting any closer to the shore. I’m not sure I could have survived drifting all the way to France.

I never really liked swimming and at school always intentionally forgot my swimming trunks. So at the age of 27 it was a big step to join a swimming club in Australia so that I could learn to swim well enough to do the Noosa Triathlon. But I don’t think it was really until I did an Ironman - without the wetsuit - did I feel truly confident/competent in the water.

One of the best things I’ve ever done IMO and I love open water swimming nowadays (although the ‘unknown monsters’ still scare the shit out of me). So yep, I think it’s logical to get this certificate - who knows maybe one day I can return the favour to someone else.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Wow, no you hadn't told me that story, good on that person to spot you and get you out, drowning looks nothing like in the movies!

I started learning swimming when I was a small kid, growing up on the seashore it was a natural choice, even though the old fishermen in the town all couldn't swim, a bit of if I fall overboard in winter, I'd rather die fast than prolog the agony...

Also started both my kids since babies in swimming school, its a skill very worth having, if you ask me :blush:

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It was a lifeguard sitting up on the beach - and sort of put me off the water for a while :D

Swimming to me seems to be about 99% technique and 1% fitness. Here in Asia many people can't swim. I don't mean that they have poor technique, but that they never learned in school. Ashly can't swim although she tells me that she has learned now. So I'm not quite sure what that means!

We really need to invest some time in changing that. I've spent some time trying to teach her in the resort pool. It's difficult to teach her in the lake because there aren't any shallow areas that don't drop off very quickly.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

How much interest would there be in an SRT course? I’m thinking of attending one in Australia if I can.

Bronze Medallion I can do in KL. It’s a three day course. That should make for an interesting FP. Hopefully I can fit it in before heading to Europe. Otherwise I’ll do it when back.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”