PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

How does the double haul reduce stroke length?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson

Re: How does the double haul reduce stroke length?

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:18 pm

See this I agree with, so your backcast delivery is basicly across body twist and back hand delivery, that one I do too, quickest and all.

Personally I would hope everyone would make sure their arsenal of casting is as big as possible, something might work in a different enviroment than intended, so what's not to learn!

3 days in and we're agreeing, one of us must be drunk 😂 and it's not me 😉

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Well it’s not me either!! :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:04 pm

Yikes 😂😂😂

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:01 am

Thank you, Lasse! I might try a ring and see what happens, funny you should mention that I cable tied my reed to the rod and it works wonders, it is quite funny how long the rod takes to set up :yeahhh: I will probable go fishing with it next time. The redington form is another matter, I really don't like that thing with a full line! :sick:

I use it pretty much all the time in the Stillwater setting. The wind is always on your casting arm, and this bank always holds a lot of fish as no one wants to fish it! I think someone called it the Barnegat bay, although this could be something else. Any confirmation on this?

I find that I can get very high line speed doing this, the line often slaps my knuckles with a lot of force, and it does sting! im with you I think, Paul. I stand side on and cast that way. So if the wind is blowing on my right shoulder, I rotate my whole body 90 degrees to the left, my forward cast is aimed at a target 180 degrees from the target on the water, up the bank, and my back cast is aimed at the target. I think that was a long winded description of your thing :sorcerer: so basically the whole stroke is tilted backwards.

all the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:10 am

whats the biggest fault you see with this back hand delivery? I have seen people do a few good false casts, and then on the final delivery shot they seem to flail out with a massive curve, don't know why. Perhaps it's trying to force the cast out?

All the best!

Nick
Nick M

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:34 am

Hi Nick,

If we are talking about a cross shoulder cast with the thumb on top, the most common one is a tracking error, with the thumb curving across the body instead of going straight.

If however we are talking about the back of the hand aiming towards the target with the rod butt tucked into the forearm;

- watching the backcast and not the target :p
- low backcast/wide loop
- canted rod instead of vertical
- applying the force too early
- not extending the rod arm all the way to the target at full arm stretch.

The rod has to travel through a vertical plane and the cast finish looking like an aeroplane with one wing pointed directly at target. :laugh: The eye, the rod hand and the target should all align with this style - which is another reason I prefer it to cross-shoulder thumb on top.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:08 pm

Right hand caster, right foot forward makes it easier to move straight with the "casting over non dominant shoulder"

Most don't alter stance, and the stroke length gets compromised alot, sometimes leaving the cast er to throw an open slow backcast loop, and the delivery all too easy gets a slice across body along with a faulty force application.

Cheers
Lasse

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:51 pm

I Like it!

Thanks for your thoughts, all!

All the best

Nick
Nick M

Return to “Flycasting”