PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Too wide a casting arc...

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Re: Too wide a casting arc...

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:00 pm

That was the complicated part. You really want a few pellets to have a chance.

Something I found interesting was that we had a few cages with bigger fish too - the sprinkling of 4-10lb fish. These fish were always deeper. Often they wouldn’t rise to floating pellets and to stock those you always had to lift the cage sides to the surface.

I always believed that for the best chance to catch the bigger fish consistently, you wanted to fish “one line deeper”.

Another thing that’s interesting is that the fish swim around and around in circles. I only ever remember seeing them swim anti-clockwise. But I’m sure there is more to it than that. Mostly I sold tickets and gave advice! Feeding or stocking was a rare part of my job - but interesting nonetheless.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Paul Arden wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:00 pm

I only ever remember seeing them swim anti-clockwise. But I’m sure there is more to it than that.

Cheers, Paul
That is interesting Paul - my reaction on reading this is that (although I had never really thought of it) this is not the case - generally (maybe always?) the bait balls we see swim clockwise.

But of course these are in Australia and the southern hemisphere. Maybe this is so the fish can swim into the "current" caused by the clockwise motion in the northern hemisphere and the anti clockwise motion in the southern hemisphere (I hope I have this the correct way around - the Coriolus effect I think???).
I am sure there will be someone on Sexyloops who will be able to educate me.
Jon

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:52 pm

It’s funny what you find on the internet. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf Dolphins predominantly swim counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.

Here in California the baitfish are swimming counterclockwise. https://gramho.com/media/2059924057138177180

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:18 am

That's really interesting, especially about the big fish! I think I'm going to take my sinking lines when I next go!

All the best

Nick

Return to “Teaching”