PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Wading boots by shoe companies

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Will
Answers: 0

Re: Wading boots by shoe companies

Post by Will »

Excellent! Looking forward to the review.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Just a quick comment on SIMMS. I find it ridiculous to charge that kind of money for shoes which are designed to fall apart after 3 or 4 years. I had a pair of their top line (guide or whatever they are called) and they literally fell apart after the mentioned period. I didn't even hike in them. I used them only for fishing in very easy terrain. The rubber sole just fell off at all places as well as the liner material failed. Must be that drinking water we fish in here in Norway ... :ninja:

In my mind a proper shoe is stitched and one should be able to replace the sole once it's worn out. You can't do this on these modern shoes made from moulded plastic. One might as well get the football boots Paul found in Malaysia.

The Dannners I have now look very good and let's see how they stand up. I agree that the listed price is ridiculous, but I got a very good deal when Patagonia had waders & boots on offer for guides. I hope they stand by their philosophy and repair things as long one wants to send it it for repair.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I actually wouldn’t mind paying that for 3-4 seasons. I’ve never had wading boots or shoes for that matter last anything like that long. Two seasons would be fantastic.

What I will do with these boots is an initial ‘first impressions’ review. A review once I’ve really learned them. And finally a review when they die. I’ll also count numbers of days fishing. My only problem I have at the moment is I’m not on rivers day in/ day out (I mostly live on the lake) and so I’ll have to write these numbers down.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Post by sms »

How does the rubber of the sole feel? Is it really sticky or like the normal wading boot sole stuff has been for some time (after Aquastealth disappeared from the market)?
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It feels sticky. It’s Vibram Idrogrip. I’ll go up a waterfall tomorrow!

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:54 am I actually wouldn’t mind paying that for 3-4 seasons. I’ve never had wading boots or shoes for that matter last anything like that long. Two seasons would be fantastic.

What I will do with these boots is an initial ‘first impressions’ review. A review once I’ve really learned them. And finally a review when they die. I’ll also count numbers of days fishing. My only problem I have at the moment is I’m not on rivers day in/ day out (I mostly live on the lake) and so I’ll have to write these numbers down.

Cheers, Paul
Well, you actually walk or have to walk. I had the SIMMS to walk to the boat and back and a little bit of wading in a slow flowing gravel bed river. Still, humidity resolved them into their parts. I found that quite a rip off and the conspiracy believer in me tends whispers the rumour in my ear that this stuff falls apart after a few years by design. How can the glues and plastics on a wading boot give up with water as the cause? My first Vision boots, rather inexpensive, lastet way longer and maybe would still be ok if I had dared to have them repaired. My fault.
sms

Post by sms »

Which size did you get Paul? And what is the size you use normally (with a sock on)? Some information in the web says that these are half a size bigger (or even more) to accommodate a neoprene sock. For my use I have to consider the use of liner sock, thick insulating sock, wader's neoprene sock and possibly protective sock for the wader neoprene. Currently I wear huge wading boots as I use neoprene protective sock over the wader's own sock part, but I think I will ditch using them in the next ones. If the waders wear, they wear - it is more comfortable to use smaller, lighter and better fitting boots.

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Sakke,

10 1/2 and that’s my normal boot size. There is more room, I will either wear two pair of socks or one and thin neoprene socks (which is what they intended). With waders I would certainly want bigger. The neoprene on waders is not just thick but there is often excess. So if you are wearing waders I would think you’d need to go up 1/2 size or even more with what you are doing.

Are you sure that you’re not just trying to impress the ladies?

Cheers,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Post by sms »

Ok, can you check the insole length?

-Sakke
Paul Arden