PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Best advice for weighted articulated flies…..

Moderator: Paul Arden

Jearley
Answers: 0

Best advice for weighted articulated flies…..

Post by Jearley »

I recently ventured into the realm of “big boy” articulated flies in search for bass. I’ve always only used dry flies, terrestrials, wooly buggers and the like for all my fishing over the years. I didn’t realize that weighted sculpin patterns would try to kill me so readily. Closed stance overhead casting seems to not work at all. Is a Belgian cast the only option I have for throwing the furry monster flies or are there other techniques to work on.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Best advice for weighted articulated flies…..

Post by Paul Arden »

I would personally go straight over the top, maybe tilt the plane so the tip is over the shoulder. The biggest problem can be the transition between front and backcast, with very heavy stuff I’ll often place the line on the water in front and in effect make a couple of PUALDs, particularly if throwing into a bank.

What I don’t like about the Belgian approach is that it can be difficult to get everything to land straight. And this is a problem when fishing in structure.

Anyway what I would suggest is going stopless/170 to get the tip out the way. I wouldn’t worry too much about loops and concentrate more on target trajectories.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jearley

Post by Jearley »

I did have the issue of not being able to get the line/leader/fly to land relatively straight with the Belgian cast. I kept making a mess of it. Sounds like I’ll be working on the stopless cast for sure! Appreciate it.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I used to believe that Belgian was the way to go. Since that’s what is often taught. However I just don’t believe that now because getting everything – flyline and fly – aligned straight on the backcast and aligned to front cast, is just incredibly difficult to achieve particularly with a weighed sock.

Short range it’s not a problem of course and the fly can often be swung in/cast like a spinner.

Obviously a discussion like this needs to involve tackle as well! But I’m off to scare some Snakehead now :)

Cheers for now,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Jearley

Post by Jearley »

I’ve been attempting to throw the rabbit on a string using an 8 weight rod with a WF8F fly line. Standard weight, I’m not much of a fan of overlining. Seems like enough rod?
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

More like enough line, hows the front taper and your leader?
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

If the fly is trying to kill you, it is probably because of the Belgian cast.

I would go back to trying the closed/over the tip pickup. Then all you have to worry about is the fly killing your rod.

Go out and practice (with just a fluff) and concentrate on directing the backcast straight but on different paths. Try over the tip first, but then drive it just outside the tip, and then just inside. (Yes... that means between your head and the rod tip!) It is an essential talent that many are not able to do... at first.

Once you got that under control, you will feel much safer. But don't forget to drop the rod tip out of the way when using the whole rabbit.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Jearley

Post by Jearley »

Lasse, I think my SA line has 3 feet of taper… couldn’t find much more info on it. I nail knot onto the loop with 25lb. Mono and then step down to 20, 15 and then 12lb. I tear up leaders so bad that I make my own. Maybe a bad leader design?

Mangrove, I will be trying out the overhead techniques more including the 170. I do need to branch out with my casting techniques more. This is certainly pushing me in that direction! Sounds like I should have a slight elliptical path on the overhead stroke. I better get working.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Jason

What line is it? 3 feet seems very short 🙂 and I would change that leader, how long are the fifferent parts? 12 lbs sound very thin for a big fly?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

If you are fishing a sock they’re not going to be leader shy! I’m really enjoying casting twisted leaders (I think I tie one in the 20,000 days video). They unroll nicely with or without a fly.

Also interested to know the lengths of the sections!

Good practise by the way is to play with casting initially a very short line, maybe just leader only, then add a metre at a time and repeat. I think that pretty much goes for all casting, but in this case especially so because you have that sock at the end of the line!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”