PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

bernds social media bashing

Moderator: Paul Arden

t.z.
Answers: 0

bernds social media bashing

Post by t.z. »

510 words of something rather pointless in my mind, with the terms "I" in at least 90% of the sentences ... Djeeezzusss
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: bernds social media bashing

Post by Paul Arden »

I found it interesting. I spend very little time on social media. I post the FPs and occasional photo. Answer a few questions. I never go through Instagram or FB feeds.

I know a few people who make their living off social media, but none in FFing. At least not through sponsorship. Many of us get guests through social media of course. Anyway for me personally the least time spent there the better :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

If someone wants to post pictures of the fish he caught ... let them. If they plaster them everywhere. Why not? Give slack. One does not need to look at it. The positive effect of the fish pics is them ich broader acceptance of C&R in the last 10 years. If the author tries to criticise others of being self centred, then maybe the word "I" shouldn't be in almost every sentence. Hence me thinking the article is rather pointless. Maybe I was a bit sad that I didn't have any cheese with all that w(h)ine.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m not sure that Bernd was bashing social media; I got the impression that he was bashing himself for using it too much :laugh:

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Personally I think that there is a huge problem with social media particularly with the young. As Bernd writes many people crave attention and “likes” can become an obsession. Hell, Facebook is an addictive drug IMO. There was a discussion here some months ago suggesting to watch The Social Dilemma on Netflix. Frightening stuff. For me it’s business pure and simple, ie marketing. It would be perfect to be able to escape into obscurity and just go fishing, but since we make our livings out of FFing it’s not possible :D Like Bernd, I started out by writing for magazines, if the Internet hadn’t come along I would no doubt have written books. The Internet has certainly given us freedom to work in a way that was never possible before. I see the good and the bad. I personally think the Internet and the world was a better place before “social media”. Bernd is only just scratching the surface of the problem.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Funny I guess, but I have almost completely avoided social media. This forum and a small local 'Glades paddle anglers forum is as "social" as I get.

I once joined Linkd-in, or whatever its called, to communicate with other Florida certified instructors, and I could not get away from it fast enough! It was like taking a big swig from a jug of milk gone bad... I spit it out but I could not get the taste out of my mouth no matter how hard I tried. It was obvious they (Linkd In) did not want it to be easy to get away.

As for books... well that is a confusion. I have a friend who has written, and still writes, good old paper based books on Florida-centric stuff like native plants and Everglades canoeing. I have something almost ready for publication, and I think I'll go that same old fashioned route. Screw this new digital crap. If the youngsters don't cotton to hard copy its their loss.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Have you ever read Negley Farson’s “Going Fishing”, Gary?

Flycasting Definitions
carlz

Post by carlz »

I really miss books. The time spent in the editing and organization. The fluff is removed and the material is presented in a coherent order. Everything is in its place.

Not all books are good, but the good ones are fantastic.

Paul, I would like to complement you on the Masterclass videos. It is well put together and has the fluff removed. Every time I watch one of those videos, I see something new. It has that quality. Social media posts do not.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:17 am I’m not sure that Bernd was bashing social media; I got the impression that he was bashing himself for using it too much :laugh:

Hi Paul,
Your impression is spot-on.
Opposite to Thomas his (wrong) interpretation, I did use "I" for exactly what Thomas wants:
t.z. wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:38 am If someone wants to post pictures of the fish he caught ... let them. If they plaster them everywhere. Why not? Give slack.

For exactly that reason I didn't judge double, tripple or even 40 times postings of one single picture to be bad behaviour in general. All I said was, that I (and only I) dislike it. That is, because Thomas was wrong in saying:
t.z. wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:38 am One does not need to look at it.

As I wrote in my fp: "It is also fun for me to share happiness about catching fish, making a long cast or tying a new fly. Great inspiration I get from all you fine fishermen sharing your fly fishing life with me!"

This obviously is precisely opposite of bashing social media in general.
t.z. wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:38 am One does not need to look at it.

This is impossible for me, because those multi postings will enter my news feed holding all the stuff I love to see, too. So there is no way to just not realize (and see) those multi postings other than not using social media at all.

Bottom line... Multi postings and spending too much time (on cost of fishing time) are a personal dislike of mine, that's all. No need to interpret a general social media bashing.

Anyway Thomas, I believe you didn't have to fully read my fp and additionally count words in it. That was your and yours only decision. As was to fullfill my target to have a discussion offering different views. Thanks for dropping in though! ;)
Off to fishing. :pirate:
Cheers
Bernd

P.s.: I am still interested in reading how much time you spend in social media.
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:29 am Hell, Facebook is an addictive drug IMO.
Halleluja, mate.
Exactly the one main motivation for my fp!

I see clients using fb even during fishing all the time! I believe this to be crazy and well worth to think about. :p
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Return to “Announcements”