PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

VLoops

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Morsie
Answers: 0

Re: VLoops

Post by Morsie »

Point P should be level with the caster so the anchor should be entirely in front of the caster. Finding that sweet spot between height, speed, and shape (tip path) is the issue.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
springer

Post by springer »

Morsie wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:25 pm Point P should be level with the caster so the anchor should be entirely in front of the caster. Finding that sweet spot between height, speed, and shape (tip path) is the issue.
How big/long should the anchor be and what should it be made of, leader or fly line?
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

It should be mostly leader, some fly line is permissable, and my leader for this task is 13ft long.
springer

Post by springer »

Morsie wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:25 pm Finding that sweet spot between height, speed, and shape (tip path) is the issue.
More height needs less speed and vice versa and so long as you main the same tip path. if you change the tip path then the same still applies but the tempo might need to change.

I think an inconsistent tip path can often be the problem, I see students doing it often even though they tell me they aren't. Maintaining the same lift height is easy enough if you pay attention and start slowly, again its fairly easy to tune into the same rhythm,speed,tempo in the sweep after a few casts but monitoring the same tip path while everything else is going seems to challenge some people more than others.

Practising tip paths on the grass without a line on the rod can be useful as there are no other distractions and it doesnt take long to become ingrained.
springer

Post by springer »

Morsie wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:21 am It should be mostly leader, some fly line is permissable, and my leader for this task is 13ft long.
Thats interesting, I always think of the anchor being fly line. The amount would depend on the rod and line length as a bigger and heavier two handed rod d-loop will takes more anchoring than a smaller trout rod d-loop, this always puts Point P behind me.

I would include a tip as part of the fly line if it was a dedicated multi-tip line or skagit.

If I did this in a THCI exam would I fail for incorrectly positioned anchor?

Its a long time now since I did any exams but I thought things like anchor positions would have been fairly common between FFF and AAPGAI who I was once assessed by.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Alan

The THCI test for the FFI is a shorter rod and shorter line test than the old THCI, which is now called the THMCI.

Anchor placement and points are sketched out at the last page of the test.
Screenshot_20210817-090025_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Two lines are used Springer (Alan), one a Scandi head with no tip at 65ft, and the other a Skagit with a 10ft type 6 tip. I'm pretty comfortable with most of the tasks, just honing them at the moment, but this one has always bugged me. As per my original question, the expected shape of the D is the big issue, and of course how to achieve it, and then the expected placement of the anchor in the V while still being dynamic enough to form a V with point P in the right place. Anyway its giving me plenty to do during lock down. It's also forcing me to slow down.
springer

Post by springer »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:10 am Hi Alan

The THCI test for the FFI is a shorter rod and shorter line test than the old THCI, which is now called the THMCI.

Anchor placement and points are sketched out at the last page of the test.

Screenshot_20210817-090025_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Cheers
Lasse
Thanks Lasse, thats an interesting anchor position.

I would have expected to see it further back with Point P behind the caster and the anchor point level with the casters shoulder.
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

It's OK with sustained anchor casts and Skagit heads, but there is very little room for margin with Scandi heads, especially with the V. Hence me wanting to see someone doing it.
springer

Post by springer »

Morsie wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:13 am It's OK with sustained anchor casts and Skagit heads, but there is very little room for margin with Scandi heads, especially with the V. Hence me wanting to see someone doing it.
Sorry Morsie Im just not understanding your problem or some of the descriptions.

To me a Scandi head is something in the 2.75-3.5x the rod length but you describe it as a 65' head which is even long for a 15' rod in terms of being described as a Scandi head?

AAPGAI used to ask for a 60' of line outside the rod tip and that was the full head of a suitable mid-spey line and most people used a 15' rod for this.

In terms of anchor placement I dont see what the problem is? we can put them pretty much anywhere we want with little fuss, its just a case of dialling in the lift, sweep and effort.

Do you have a mentor, if so can he/she do what they are asking of you?

When Im teaching I suggest an anchor location that is the size of a bin lid, in the UK thats about 2' in diameter and the average anchor size will be about 2' long in terms of the end of the fly line, the anchor position will be directly out from the casters shoulder an at 90 degrees to the target. I get the pupil to stand with their torso relaxed and facing the target and then put the rod across their chest touching both shoulders, this is then pointing at the anchor position and at 90 degrees to the target. So long as its within 1-1.5x the length of the rod away from them Im happy. From there its the tip path during the sweep that determines d or > loop but the anchor goes to the same place.

Maybe Im out of date these days as I haven't been involved with an organisation for maybe 10yrs now and thinking has changed?

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”