PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly of the Month - October 2021

Moderator: Viking Lars

Viking Lars
Answers: 0

Fly of the Month - October 2021

Post by Viking Lars »

I just stumbled upon this post, which could have been a nice, ongoing series of posts, but somehow seems to have stalled a long time ago :-).

I posted an FP about my two, main damselflies yesterday and spoke to Paul later. I asked about the Arden Damsel, which apparently has quite a long history. Paul adapted Richard Walker's Mayfly Nymph to fit a damsel. Paul told me he fishes them with beads, with lead (under the dressing) and un-weighted. It's an old fly - from before 1990, Paul says - maybe 1986. I suspect this fly has caught a few fish in it's time. Does any one else fish it? If not - tie some, it's excellent.

My Furled Damsel is of course not nearly as old - maybe 5 years, maybe a little more. The furling technique for the abdomen and tail I got from my old friend, Ken Hanley from California. Ken wrote a whole book on flies using this technique:
Good book, btw. I used this technique to get a credible profile - also the reason for the rubber legs. And I do believe it works - I've had a (as in one) brown pick it up from the bottom, the fly sitting static. So obviously it looks like a damsel - or at least something living and edible.

My good, Swedish friend, Håkan Karsnäser, ties another, relatively simple, damsel imitation on a long shank hook. There's a video of him tying it here:

I'd love to see what everyone else fish as damsel imitations.

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Fly of the Month - October 2021

Post by Paul Arden »

It wasn’t Walker’s, it was John Goddard’s, which I saw in a FFFT magazine. That was the first time I had seen a long nymph tied on a wet fly hook with a marabou tail. I can’t remember when I skipped part of the body and went straight to thorax but using the legs from the wing case happened fairly quickly, maybe in the first tying session. As it stands now it has looked since before I first went to NZ which was ‘91. I know that because I was fishing it there!

There are lots of similar flies nowadays. I never liked the long shank hooks for this fly. Damsel and other nymphs swim with a very pronounced wiggle so I think the furling might be excellent!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Nick

Post by Nick »

I briefly thought that braided marabou would make an excellent body for a damsel nymph. And it did, but it was an absolute pain in the arse to tie, and only lasted for one fish, so I did not tie another. The loose marabou tail seems to work well enough for me, whenever I actually go trout fishing.
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

A small brunch of marabou does work very well. I jumped on the braided marabou wagon too many years ago. And as far as imitation and mobility goes, it really is excellent, but as you say, very fragile. I think I still have a few, but the Furled Damsel has taken over completely. That is in fact a very durable fly. The extended abdomen is made from antron.
frog

Post by frog »

Excellent results with the Little Pine Damsel nymph. I have also got a tungsten bead variant.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s very similar to what I use Frog and I’m sure would fish the same. I just simplify the steps so I can knock them out quicker. Usually a couple of turns of lead. Marabou for the tail tied from where the thorax ends, pinched slightly shorter with the thumb, pheasant tail for the wing case which after pulling over is then tucked back under / side by side, for the legs and seal fur for the thorax. Takes about a minute.

Funny I’m not a fan of flash on this fly. I know people put crystal flash for the tail.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
flickingfeathers

Post by flickingfeathers »

My favourite damsel is fairly simple and I've got complete confidence in it.
I tie this version and a more honey olive with red.
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Very nice fly, Martyn. I like the finishing touch with the bright green, GloBrite head.
flickingfeathers

Post by flickingfeathers »

Thanks Lars, the other one I use no.4 in the dubbing and head

Return to “Flytying”